Squirrels Living In Ductwork - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
From Philadelphia

Rewards Points: 143

Squirrels Living in Ductwork

We have 6" round ductwork running from our over-the-range microwave, up 1', then over about 6' to the outside where it exits via a wall vent. It's a white plastic wall vent to fit 6" round ductwork, has 4 flapping louvers, and then a plastic screen kind of thing. It turns out the squirrels pulled off one of the louvers, ate through the screen, and have been nesting inside the ductwork.

(SIDE NOTE: We actually moved into this house in the Spring of 2014. When moving in, I noticed the previous vent was missing all of its louvers, so I went up to replace it with the new white plastic vent hood, and before doing so I pulled out a couple plastic grocery store bags-worth of leaves, pine needles, yarn, etc. Upon seeing that, I knew something had been living in there, but I figured that the new louvered vent with the "pest screen" would prevent them from getting in in the future. I was wrong!)

Any suggestions on how to:

1) ...get the squirrels out? And
2) ...keep the squirrels out?

To keep the squirrels out, I was thinking of cutting up a square of metal lath to act as a metal screen. I figure the squirrels can't eat through the metal. But I could again be wrong!

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

Squirrels! How Cute! ;-)
Is the nest accesible?

Advertisement

Handy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
From Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy44 View Post
Squirrels! How Cute! ;-)
Is the nest accesible?
Yes, last time I pulled crap out of there, I stuck my hand in. But I don't want to just stick my hand in there if I'm gonna pull it out with a squirrel chewing on my fingers, so I want to chase them out somehow first (i.e. smoke? chemical? etc.).
Old 12-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,296

Never should have been cheap plastic flex line, replace with solid galvanized pipe.
Replace the dryer vent someone stuck in there with a metal one with a metal screen.
Bring a box big enough to fit the hose into, disconnect the two ends and jamb it into the box and take it outside to empty it.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,296

Never should have been cheap plastic flex line, replace with solid galvanized pipe.
Replace the dryer vent someone stuck in there with a metal one with a metal screen.
Bring a box big enough to fit the hose into, disconnect the two ends and jamb it into the box and take it outside to empty it.

How are they even able to get at the vent?
Over hanging tree limbs, get rid of them.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
From Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

How are they even able to get at the vent?
Over hanging tree limbs, get rid of them.
Sorry, sometimes I'm not so good at writing and am not totally clear, but the run of vent pipe is solid galvanized pipe. Only the vent outlet cap/hood on the exterior of the house is plastic. Also, there are no trees near it. They just climb 10 feet up the stucco wall right to the vent outlet.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,140

Hope you get the squirrel out before it has young ones.

One site I googled said they hate strobe lights.

I was thinking since hawks are a predador can you play a hawks call? I have a bird app to help me identify birds and the app has the sounds for each bird.

I have a pepper spray for dogs, from Ganders Mountain, for when I walk alone. Maybe a squirt of that in the vent would chase it off. Altho you don't want to be smelling it and I don't know if it lingers.

Or shove a cat up there..... No just kidding.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 180

well at least you know where they are going in and out at. just get a live trap, and attach it o the end of the vent. it'll only have one way to go, into the trap.

http://fieldsdevsupply.com/images/OU18squirrells.jpg
Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
From Philadelphia

I just read somewhere to put a shallow cup of ammonia in there because apparently they can't stand the smell. Anyone else try this?

Advertisement