Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

Squirrels

Hey guys. I have a warehouse with an upstairs storage area and I seem to have been invaded with a squirrel(s). He is entering the building at night and living inside. The question I have is should I be worried about being attacked (especially if it makes babies) and what are your tips for removal. I know where he enters the building because I observed this one day. If I seal this area will he still try and enter from a new location? Thnx

robertBny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #2

Squirrels

Poor excuse for not repairing where there getting in. Rabies, chewing the wiring, chewing on your stored stuff, time for them to go.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertBny View Post
Hey guys. I have a warehouse with an upstairs storage area and I seem to have been invaded with a squirrel(s). He is entering the building at night and living inside. The question I have is should I be worried about being attacked (especially if it makes babies) and what are your tips for removal. I know where he enters the building because I observed this one day. If I seal this area will he still try and enter from a new location? Thnx
you mean like this?
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Learning Things Every Day

Squirrels

I recommend a well-placed BB.

Also, I'm told squirrel meat makes a tasty stew....
Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
you mean like this?
hahaha that is exactly how i was picturing him!
robertBny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Squirrels

Could be this guy
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #7

Squirrels

Use a Trap with peanutbutter and bird seed. http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/0745
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Squirrels

Ayuh,.... Put out some D-con rat baits,...

And fix yer building...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Squirrels

He or she is probably not alone. Once squirrels get in the habit of visiting it is hard to get them to leave. Unlikely you would get bit or rabies but they can do a lot of damage. Every year in Central Illinois where they were brought in---with no predators---to beautify the UofI campus they do in 20 or more car wiring harnesses.

I had a trapper get rid of those in my attic and then repaired all the ingress and egress points. They would scury along the gutters and chew another way in. The last time I dealt with them I called an exterminator who came out and sprayed the attic with "Essence of Fox" or something. It was odorless as far as I could tell but the little critters could not get out fast enough. Again I repaired all the in/out points. I never talked with new owners so do not know how long it lasted.

Don't waste your money on spray foam for the repairs. Do them right with new wood and even mesh or flashing if you have to. They will chew right the foam patches.

And D-Con or similar poisons may work but the things will bloat up and then rot in your attic. This can be unpleasant smelling and it kind of gets to you when you pull a ceiling tile and a dead, shriveled up one falls on your head or into your paint bucket.

Last edited by user1007; 12-14-2011 at 02:36 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Squirrels

[quote=sdsester;793599]He or she is probably not alone. Once squirrels get in the habit of visiting it is hard to get them to leave. Unlikely you would get bit or rabies but they can do a lot of damage. Every year in Central Illinois where they were brought in---with no predators---to beautify the UofI campus they do in 20 or more car wiring harnesses.

I had a trapper get rid of those in my attic and then repaired all the ingress and egress points. They would scury along the gutters and chew another way in. The last time I dealt with them I called an exterminator who came out and sprayed the attic with "Essence of Fox" or something. It was odorless as far as I could tell but the little critters could not get out fast enough. Again I repaired all the in/out points. I never talked with new owners so do not know how long it lasted.

Don't waste your money on spray foam for the repairs. Do them right with new wood and even mesh or flashing if you have to. They will chew right the foam patches.

And D-Con or similar poisons may work but the things will bloat up and then rot in your attic. This can be unpleasant smelling and it kind of gets to you when you pull a ceiling tile and a dead, shriveled up one falls on your head or into your paint bucket.[/quote]

I have always found that annoying
Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Squirrels

[QUOTE=chrisn;793604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
He or she is probably not alone. Once squirrels get in the habit of visiting it is hard to get them to leave. Unlikely you would get bit or rabies but they can do a lot of damage. Every year in Central Illinois where they were brought in---with no predators---to beautify the UofI campus they do in 20 or more car wiring harnesses.

And D-Con or similar poisons may work but the things will bloat up and then rot in your attic. This can be unpleasant smelling and it kind of gets to you when you pull a ceiling tile and a dead, shriveled up one falls on your head or into your paint bucket.[/quote]

I have always found that annoying
I totally pictured it happening and started to laugh.

*pull tile, falls out*
"Ahhh!! wtf?" *splat in the paint*
"Ahhhhhhhh, damnit"
*slowly pulling it out of paint can by the tail holding it with two fingers*
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #12

Squirrels

Put one of these squirrel launchers somewhere that he will notice when he comes and goes:

https://www.google.com/search?source...338l5.8.3l16l0
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #13
Learning Things Every Day

Squirrels

Animal cruelty is not cool, man.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #14

Squirrels

I agree totally. I think many/most of the squirrels in these "walked away" from the experiences chastened but unharmed. More humane to use the Have-a hart trap... but not as entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
Animal cruelty is not cool, man.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #15

Squirrels

My new home is FULL of half eaten walnut shells in the attic and walls. The neighbor told me he used to trap squirrels in the attic for the old lady all the time. Fortunately it looks like they had enough walnuts to eat that they didn't disturb anything else. I'll be cutting back the trees from the house in the spring.

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote