Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

Squirrel (not a have a heart thread)

I have attic/squirrel issues.

I have tried to live trap them with little success. The squirrels are smarter than the have a heart traps. They actually either roll the trap on the side and get the PB or hold the door open with their butt and grab it. After a week of trying to out smart them I had to find another solution.

By following all the local laws I had to find a legal method. We live in a no discharge town, and there are state and local laws on relocating and or dispatching animals. I found this trap to be legal and effective.

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.c...t_Code=WCSTUBE
Attached Thumbnails
Squirrel (not a have a heart thread)-damnsquirrel.jpg   Squirrel (not a have a heart thread)-ds.jpg  
Attached Images

tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tjfslaughter For This Useful Post:
Ray Williford (05-30-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Aww, have a hart, they are cute!

You can't get rid of squirrels by trapping or killing them, nature abhors a vacuum, something we foolish humans don't learn when we try to "control" wildlife- they simply reproduce FASTER and have larger litters and more offspring, and neighboring animals move into areas vacated by rivals.

I don't have squirrels in my attic, never have, you just need to plug up all holes, and put in heavy duty screening over vents etc

Squirrels can walk wires, jump amazing distances and climb straight up with ease, they are smart and will figure out even a maze of pathways to get at food.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
Aww, have a hart, they are cute!

You can't get rid of squirrels by trapping or killing them, nature abhors a vacuum, something we foolish humans don't learn when we try to "control" wildlife- they simply reproduce FASTER and have larger litters and more offspring, and neighboring animals move into areas vacated by rivals.

I don't have squirrels in my attic, never have, you just need to plug up all holes, and put in heavy duty screening over vents etc

Squirrels can walk wires, jump amazing distances and climb straight up with ease, they are smart and will figure out even a maze of pathways to get at food.
I do have a heart. That is why I tried to relocate them. I paid for two different exterminators and the patched the same hole twice, used the one way doors. They patched the hole with metal screen. They keep chewing in. It was recommended that I relocate the problem squirrels. Once I saw them defeat a trap multiple times (with my own eyes) I knew I had to do something different.

Having to rewire my second floor or having a house fire is not worth it.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

first, trim all your trees so they cannot leap from tree to tree freely. then, get some dogs, seriously. i have two and i have watched them work. they are a team when it comes to taking down squirrels. they will wait and wait and wait till the squirrel eventually gets tired and comes down the tree. then they pounce. it's awesome and i don't feel bad because it is nature taking it's course.

over the years i have less and less squirrels in my yard. they may reproduce like crazy but i generally get the young dumb ones in my yard that don't know any better (and are so much easier for my dogs to catch). the ones that live stay away, they know better. they stick to the neighbors' yards without any dangers.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
first, trim all your trees so they cannot leap from tree to tree freely. then, get some dogs, seriously. i have two and i have watched them work. they are a team when it comes to taking down squirrels. they will wait and wait and wait till the squirrel eventually gets tired and comes down the tree. then they pounce. it's awesome and i don't feel bad because it is nature taking it's course.

over the years i have less and less squirrels in my yard. they may reproduce like crazy but i generally get the young dumb ones in my yard that don't know any better (and are so much easier for my dogs to catch). the ones that live stay away, they know better. they stick to the neighbors' yards without any dangers.
I wish dogs could happen, this issue is at a rental we have. The trees are trimmed, they actually climb the gutter down spouts.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
JOATMON

Hawks and falcons are a good way to control them.....we have some in the park across the street.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Hawks and falcons are a good way to control them.....we have some in the park across the street.
Our hawks are about 1/4 mile away.....
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

Letting dogs kills squirrels in not "natural", dogs are domestic animals not wolves hunting for survival.
Besides, squirrels, mice rats etc can carry a number of parasites and diseases your dogs can get from them, and transmit to YOU.

Squirrels can carry infected fleas and plague, a bacterial disease people can contract
Quote:
through close contact with the furry animals, health officials warned.
Quote:
Last September, public health authorities had traced multiple cases of hantavirus, a rodent-borne disease, to Yosemite. Of the confirmed cases, two were fatalities and five had been connected to the 91 "signature tent cabins" in Curry Village, one of the park's most popular campgrounds.

A dog that kills squirrels is at risk of getting a disease from the squirrels caused by swallowing a tick on a squirrel or possibly swallowing rodent poison from inside the squirrel)

mange mites are another thing dogs can get from them.

If the squirrel had intestinal parasites (tapeworms, roundworms, etc) those could be transmitted to your dog.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #9

So, you know where they are getting into the attic? if they are chewing
through the wood patch where you re-patched it,
then you can to patch it better.

Squirrels are extremely resourceful and clever, like a dog on a bone they
don't give up. Getting back to the patch...screw barbed wire back and forth
over the patch so that it is impossible for them to chew through the wood,
or screw a sheet metal plate over the wood.

In the mean time put a speaker in the attic and blast hard rock music
into the attic, this scares the holy hell out of them. Do this now before
even addressing the opening where they're getting in.

btw...the speaker trick really works.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #10

There are 10X as many squirrels in cities than in the wild where they originated. That is because we provide habitat and food. The American squirrel is a major problem in England.

Squirrels are a major risk for fires started in attics. A mother squirrel has 2 litters a year of 2. At 2 months, the new baby squirrels go through a teething frenzy and that is when an electrical wire can be gnawed and a fire started.

Squirrels are extremely territorial. Trap one and relocate it then the other squirrels in a densely populated squirrel area will not allow the relocated squirrel to move in.

Once a squirrel learns how to get into an attic, it will repeat the behavior when relocated. It only takes a few minutes for a squirrel to chew and scrape through a soffet and return to it's home in an attic, especially if there are babies.

There are a few simple things about trapping a squirrel. First, the trap must be secured. Second, if it is in the attic, there needs to be something under the trap, like a piece of cardboard or wood, so the wire trap bottom does not have holes into the insulation. It helps if the bait (peanut butter usually works well) is on a slice of apple skewered on a little stick. A tiny smear of peanut butter at the trap entrance helps, too. Place the trap near the spot where the squirrel enters of exits the attic, even if that is on the roof.

I suggest a trap that fits into a trash can filled with water. This makes for a quick and easy end to the captured squirrel. It may seem that trapping creates a void that is quickly filled with other squirrels. That just means trapping a few more to get some balance.

gobug is offline   Reply With Quote