Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

squirrel nest

Okay, if I find a nest in my attic and tear it apart, will the mother attack being it may be near birthing time and in close quarters?

Heheh, I'm seriuos! Don't want to be in the attic with a mad mother squirrel running around my head,....or anything else!

Makes me think of that song about the squirrel running up someone's leg. Can't think of the singer's name, but he did several funny songs. The Streak, I think was one of them.

" Don't look Ethel!"

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
pest control operator

squirrel nest

I've seen them run up peoples arms, though not necesarily attacking. Disrupt the nest with a pole so you are not that close. It will run away. Watch where it goes-could give you clues as to what needs to be patched. Keep up the pressure; it will eventually give up for someplace safer.

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Experienced

squirrel nest

Rat trap baited with peanut butter, better than a shot gun, causes a lot less damage, and won't put holes in your roof.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
pest control operator

squirrel nest

Rat trap idea is good. If you have pnuts, place one on the pbutter. You will then have visual and aroma appeal.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

squirrel nest

My thought was to tear the nest apart with a hoe. BUt still how long would take a squirrel to a hoe??

I saw a utube of a mother coming down a tree and attacking a dog that was harassing her little one. She stayed on the attack until the little one got away and scurried back up the tree. She then escaped and went back up the tree too. Not sure h ow this would be faked.

I know what needs patching, a lot of outside soffitt.

Anyway, I had my live trap set in the attic, but read they seldom will enter a trap in the attic. I removed it and placed it near the entrance point I have seen used and has dirty marking of traffic. I have it baited with dogfood. I also will put peanut butter in it. I might put water in it too as I also bought .....something that might make them very thirsty.

In addition to this, I bought a path trap (?) like trappers use just smaller that goes in their traffic route. Step on both sides of it and set triggering mechanism. They step on it and BAM!

I think I will set that trap on top of my heating duct where I see a lot of droppings. Might even build a tunnel wioth 3 boards to set over it to maybe lure them inside the tunnel to the trap.

I really hate to have to kill them and maybe have to hunt for the dead (maybe they will go out for a drink and die) and babies if there are any. I expect there are newborns, but better that than have my house burned to the ground.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

squirrel nest

Trap on duct work. Not a real good pic but droppings to. The trap is wired to a roof support.
Attached Thumbnails
squirrel nest-trap11.jpg  
Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #7

squirrel nest

This is what I suspect is a nest where the insulation is piled up at the intersection of the joists and rafters.

You can see where I tossed some foil with cat litter in it in what I suspect is the entrance to the nest. If any babies are there, she will probably move them now.
Attached Thumbnails
squirrel nest-nest11.jpg  

Last edited by boman47k; 01-31-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

squirrel nest

This is one gnawed wire and the one of the main reasons this problem has to be taken care of.
When and if I get them out and all the openings closed off, I intend to rewire the lights as I have most of the rest of the house.
Attached Thumbnails
squirrel nest-gnawed-wire.jpg  
Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

squirrel nest

I hope these droppings show so some of you can get an idea of what may be leaving droppings at your place if any.
Attached Thumbnails
squirrel nest-droppings.jpg  
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
pest control operator

squirrel nest

The trap baited with dog food: is it on the ground or anyplace that a skunk could get in? If so, re-think that location before nightfall. During the daylight hours, fine. AFter dark, skunks, possums, raccoons, cats will be attracted.

The leghold trap in attic needs to be camoflauged; use leaves or similar.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

squirrel nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbugman View Post
The trap baited with dog food: is it on the ground or anyplace that a skunk could get in? If so, re-think that location before nightfall. During the daylight hours, fine. AFter dark, skunks, possums, raccoons, cats will be attracted.

The leghold trap in attic needs to be camoflauged; use leaves or similar.

Keep us posted.
Some good points. I had wondered if the leg trap needed camo The live trap a;so actually. I almost decided to partially cover the live trap with leaves and debri that was in the bottom of the roof valley.

The live trap is on the flat back roof right where I think the main squirrel entrance is.

I first put peanut butter on the leg trap, but figured there might not be enough pressure from the squirrel nibbling on the bait to spring it. I wiped most of the peanut butter off leaving mostly a film thinking the squirrel will lick it more vigorously and spring it. ( I had to lossen the trigger pad (?) as it was too tight I thought to spring for a squirrel eating peanut butter off of it. It may still be, but I think if it gets on it with a little pressure, maybe it will spring.

I put some of the peanut butter in the live trap with the dog food along with some water and a few acorns from off the roof.

Yep, big old oak tree right at the end of the deck I had trimmed back some this summer to avoid debris and mossy growth on my new roof..

The reason I put the water in is I also got some rat poison, and was thinking if the get the poison in the attic, they may go out, see the water and enter the live trap. Have not set the poison out. Kinda hate to do that to anything. But.....at the same time my priority is preventing a fire from chewed up wires.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #12

squirrel nest

This morning we noticed some insulation showing from one the nests in the oak tree at the end of the deck. Maybe there is some moving going on!

Or the others know where to get some good nest building mat's.

Rainy and cold here now. Can't do anything outside as far as closing entrances.

I'm thinking of just putting some wire screening up on the back part of the house until the weather gets better.

Maybe go ahead and use the screen whether they are out or not and use the poison. I will just have to find the dead ones from smell.

I really hate to do that. I like watching them play...outside.
Maybe I can build something for them to nest in to help discourage the use of the attic. I suspect this would be wasted effort on the ones already accustomed to the attic.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #13

squirrel nest

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Critter of Interest
Attached Thumbnails
squirrel nest-furry-suspect1.jpg  

Last edited by boman47k; 02-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (05-17-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Experienced

squirrel nest

I really think you need to build one of these

http://noolmusic.com/utube_live/squirrel_a_pult.php
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #15

squirrel nest

Yep, donate to a neighbor.

I don't know them thinks have uncanny way of finding their way home from what I have read.

I couldn't help but laugh at that video though.

"What the...........?" had to be going through the squirrels head, or something similar.

Reminds me, I have to go get my lve trap off the roof. It is a little light weight, and we are getting some wind today.