Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Beer Advocate

Share |

The SPIDERS are COMING!

I have a huge fear of spiders, so does my Wife. We get the largest spiders I have ever seen at our house. I have done everything I can to control the other insects (their food source) since this was the only advice I could find. Problem is they wont leave and keep getting bigger!

I think they are "Wolf Spiders", they are ground dwelling and some I have seen have a leg span of 1-2 inches! I know it doesn't sound big but 2 inches is getting pretty crazy!

Anyway the war is about to begin and I need some tips of the best most nasty spider control measures I can take. Is there any thing I can put around the yard that will help? They seem indestructable!

Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

The SPIDERS are COMING!

http://www.bugsaway.com/wolfspider.htm Just looked on the "web" pun intended LOL no idea if good or not just passing it along

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

The SPIDERS are COMING!

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html This should help also
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Beer Advocate

The SPIDERS are COMING!

First of all why in the *bleep* do they make the hobo spider "jiggle" on the page? Its not like I was creeped out enough looking at it... Ugh.

I am almost positive its the wolf spider. I live in Missouri and its large, larger then a recluse and its always visable outside, day and night. They run around on the ground also, not on walls. I knew they were harmless to humans, I mean they "could" bite you though.

Anyhow If possible I would love to napalm my entire yard of all living things. I keep seeing this Demon WP advertised, anyone use it?

Thanks for the links btw
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

The SPIDERS are COMING!

M-60 :}:} that will work, Oh Yeah 12 ga
Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
hms
Remodeling contractor

The SPIDERS are COMING!

CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!

I have chickens and they eat all bugs. I have VERY few creepy things in my house since I got the chickens. That's all they do all day long is look for and eat the crawly things. ( once in a while they will lay an egg or two, but I just put those in the fridge). I'm serious though, the chickens are the best pest control by far. If you have the room, I would recomend chickens. They are pretty maintenance free and if you don't have roosters, they are generally pretty quiet.
hms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #7

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Demon WP has 40 % Cypermethrin, which is a great killer of a lot of insects.As does Cynoff WP.Cynoff WP has a residual of up to 3 months and this product can be added to water.The higher the % of Cypermethrin the better.The only reason I know any of this is my log home had a Carpenter Bee and a powder post beetle problem.They work great.Here is a link.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/spiders-c-22.html
If your going to put the dust in cracks and crevices you might get a dust applicator to.The good thing about dust is that it gets on the insect and they carry it back to the den.Get em where they live so to speak. Good Luck.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Beer Advocate

The SPIDERS are COMING!

I can't have chickens running around where I live. But thanks for the tip!

I have been looking at Demon WP for a year now, it seems way better then anything you can buy at the big box stores. I will give it a try! Thank you!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #9

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Demon WP or any 'powder' insecticide will work best for spiders. The thing I'd suggest is to look for the source. Spiders like to be hidden when at rest. Is there a rock wall or landscaping conducive to this? Maybe some old flower pots that haven't been moved in awhile. Don't be afraid of calling a licensed bug man in for a 'free' inspection. Sure he (or she) may try to sell you a contract--& who knows you may want one.but at least they can give you a running start on what and where to look or where they are coming from.
Good Luck
Now I gotta go see this Hobbo spider.

Ps.got a couple of articles on spiders.not sure if they'll help your specific need though.

http://pestcemetery.com/?p=24
Dutch1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #10

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Not what your gonna wanna hear but,

I feel your pain,I'm just south here in Oklahoma and we get Wolf spiders in the fall.
I cannot begin to express how much I detest spiders and how quickly I can go in the other direction when confronted with one.
Translation-I'm scared of spiders and run like a girl when I see one.
Actually,they are disgusting and dangerous and i've been bitten by Recluse's and Scorpions many times and don't like it.

Anyway,we have 2 open acres here and last year I finally had to come to terms with the spiders moving in in the fall.
For several weeks when I sit on the couch at night one will simply appear from next to the couch/wall and proceed across the room.
The first few times I woke up the wife and made her kill them,or tossed pillows,keyboards etc until she woke up and killed it or it took off.
Doing this several times a night really started to get bad,and we were close to a hotel and a house smoking since spraying wasn't working(i'm serious about bug control)
I finally looked them up and read all about them,turns out they are actually helpful spiders and IIRC can't even harm people if they wanted to though they are extremely deadly to bugs and very poisonous.

So the Wolf spiders and I simply came to an agreement.
When I see one starting across the floor,I freeze up completely and my endorphines pump and I put my hand on my crotch and squeeze.
I hold that position till the spider is gone,then I relish the high of adrenalin I just got after living through another dangerous life altering event in small town oklahoma..
Cause I found out no matter what you do or how much you spend you won't get em all and there will be more next year.
Find your first egg sack after it burst's and when your done crying just come to terms with it...they'll eventually get us all....
DefEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #11
Beer Advocate

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefEddie View Post

I woke up the wife and made her kill them,or tossed pillows,keyboards etc until she woke up and killed it or it took off.

I freeze up completely and my endorphines pump and I put my hand on my crotch and squeeze.

I hold that position till the spider is gone.

Ya thats not really what I wanted to hear...

I dont really get many in my house to be honest I find some in my basement and garage. But outside the foundation crawls with spiders. Infact when I trim around the foundation I would honestly say 6-10 spiders every time crawl up the wall. And this is per 12 foot section or so. Its insane. I know I can't get rid of all things nature in my yard, and spiders in general are very hard to eliminate. But I am thinking from two directions here. First some will die from insecticide, I can't tell you how many dead spiders are in my basement and garage from spraying. So if I use something outside and inside entry areas maybe the demon WP I should take some of them out. Then I was thinking of nuking the living crap out of my yard. Maybe a monthly parameter and complete yard application of insect control. This way if I lower the "food" level for the spiders maybe some more will be gone?

I was thinking of just using napalm once a month but my city said no.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #12

The SPIDERS are COMING!

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/mo...rth-p-410.html

Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Beer Advocate

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post

Have you tried that stuff before?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #14

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
Have you tried that stuff before?
I sure have.My neighbor was ranting about it to me.She also has bird/deer/cat/dog and every other known feeder and she is very very green!!!
The knock down power is great,and the residual factor seems to be working just as well as the knock down power.Combined with the Demon WP I do not have any troubles with Creepy Crawlers. A good friend of mine had always ask me how I keep the crawlers from the house,He to has a really bad phobia.He now uses the two and is quite happy or should I say ,his phobia is down to a minimum now..........................

Old 04-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Beer Advocate

The SPIDERS are COMING!

Outside of gas and a match this sounds great! Going to try it out, thanks for the link and information!