Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #1

Share |

Spider Mites

Hello all...

I have several ornamental container trees on my balcony, a red plum, cherry and a weeping pussywillow. Over the summer we had an outbreak of spider mites, which we kept mostly in check with neem oil and another pesticide that I have forgotten the name of.

Well now it's autumn, and starting to get cold, as Germany does. I want to move the trees indoors over the winter, but am afraid of the mites spreading to my indoor plants, which until now have remained unafflicted. I check the leaves, and there are still some mites on the plum, and a tiny bit of webbing.

I would like to know if I could leave the trees out to freeze off the mites? How cold can these sorts of trees get before they are damaged? When can I realistically expect the mites to be dead & gone enough so it would be safe to move the trees indoors?

The seasons have been decidedly mild here, summer only hit to about 33C (90F) and last winter was never colder than -1C (30F), and no snow. If this winter is also as mild as last, can I then leave the trees out later, potentially through the whole winter?

Any help is appreciated!

Schönen dank!!

_8E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
the Musigician

Spider Mites

i use ivory dishsoap watered down in a misting sprayer. kills 'em dead and does not harm plants. please do not risk leaving them outdoors to freeze.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Bug Expert

Spider Mites

Cyfluthrin (Tempo SC Ultra) is very effective in controlling spider mites on non-edible plants.
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote