Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Sparrows nesting in carport roof area

Hey guys,
How do you prevent sparrows and other types of birds from nesting underneath an open roof area such as a carport roof? I bought a house last year and as I was moving in there were sparrows nesting in there. I let them have their offspring and move on (and cleaned up the nasty mess too), but now this year they are back scoping it out. They haven't built anything...yet. I want to stop them in their tracks, anybody know of a spray that deters them or something I can put in the carport that will scare them? I was going to buy one of those things that makes predator bird sounds and throw it in there (I have power in the carport), but they are like $700! Also, I don't want to use chicken wire as it will be a PITA and it will also prohibit me from storing anything in the wooden supports above my car. Is there any predator urine I can buy and spray in there? Any advice is appreciated.

Tuffguy610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Interesting - your carport roof if bare.
I'd say to simply cover it over with plywood and actually convert it to an attic - install a drop-down ladder and put some shelves up there or something for storage.

Any type of open rafter will invite birds, at the least, to nest.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

Yea my carport has an A Frame roof, and its semi enclosed (house on one side, framed wall on the other with openings in front and partially in the rear). I guess I'll have to suck it up and clean up bird nests/carcasses every June. It almost seems like more work to convert it to an attic where I will have to periodically inspect for critters. It is an alternative that I may have to consider.
Tuffguy610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Yeah - it's a pick your nuisance game. Birds or mice.

I'd prefer birds - we have alot of problems with hornets and wasps, etc- so inviting as many birds to be around as possible keeps their numbers to a minimum.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

Birds ... seeems like I used to see a lot more of them...

try putting up a bird house...and some close by feed.

The wood in our houses used to be some birds home or place to rest.

If you have to chase the poor feathered feinds away try... hanging up some old cds or ballons.. birds don't care for those...
try a plastic owl..they are scary... kinda like a life size freddy or Jason doll standing in your living room.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Quirky thing about sparrows: Their offspring will return the their birth site to build their nest. Having an unattached garage/shop in which the doors are open a lot this time of year I had the sparrow problems also. I only have 1/2 of the shop ceiling finished and they would fly up in the unfinished part and get on top of my cabinets. First I bought one of those plastic owls and set it up in the attic part. Not very effective, they acted as if they liked it. Then I found a cheap weather vane with an eagle on top with wings half out (half in?) and hung it from a rafter so the it would move with any air movement. I've seen sparrows fly into the shop, see the eagle and do a 180 in mid-air to leave. So far, so good. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

I'd net it off with the sort of netting they use to keep birds off fruit trees. It's lightweight and will install with a staple gun.

I have a garage with an attic and vented soffits. Former homeowner never covered the vents so by the time I moved in it was an aviary. Mostly starlings. I spent a day stapling 1x1 wire mesh over every opening I could find. Now I have no birds.

Also, I do use hanging CDs in my garden.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Military Mom of 4

At the hardware store, today, I saw sheets of wire-mesh (4x8') in with the drywall - it looked like chicken wire, only stiffer and more tightly nit. . . made me think of your bird issue and made me consider putting it over my under-house vents to keep cats and other critters out from under my house.