Originally Posted by Zeebugman
The consensus here, I am generally in agreement. Diatamaceous earth is FAR better than any boric acid. Use it with a bulb duster LIGHTLY. It works by abrading the exoskeleton of insects causing dehydration...a dessicant that will be transferred to others in the colony. Boric acid is toxic to humans, animals and fish so it is generally not recommended for use around children or pets. DE is inert.
This is an example of what I mean by my below "signature".....
Why is DE FAR safer than boric? Also, just cuz something is "inert" doesnt make it non haz. Remember asbestos?? That too is "inert". See what I mean?
DE is dangerous as he++ if not used with proper safety breathing aparatus. It is extremely sharp crystalline silica (kinda like tiny glass shards), and breathing this into your lungs is asking for big trouble.
Boric toxic? Why? It is in every plant cell wall. Plants cant live without it, and we eat boron every day (unless ones diet is french fries, coka cola, potato chips, donuts, and ring dings). We breathe is every time we wash our clothes with TWENTY MULE TEAM BORAX. bORIC IS NOT WHAT iD CALL TOXIC.
I use DE. Be careful.