Is This A Sign Of Termite Infestation (pics)? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this a sign of termite infestation (pics)?

A few weeks ago, I noticed 'bug traffic' around the foot of the glass pane sliding doors that separates the kitchen from the backyard. It looked (at the time) to me that some bugs were getting through the seam between the kitchen floor tile and the door. They looked like tiny black bugs. It was weird because I've lived in this house for 4 years or so, and while bugs will always get in somehow from time to time, I've never seen such 'increased traffic.'

3 or 4 days ago, I vacuumed the area and placed some tape over the seam between the glass pane doors and the kitchen tile. It was a temporarily measure until I had time to go buy some wood filler (and before I realized what the real problem might be). Last night, I noticed sawdust accumulation. Here are some pics.

You'll notice the transparent tape I mentioned. This is accumulation over the last 3 or 4 days. The thing is, I can't tell if it's termite droppings or if it's just dirt. Is it possible this is not a termite infestation but just ants and bugs tunneling in through the seam and pushing dirt in?

There's also accumulation at the corners of the glass pane doors.

What do you think? Termites or no? I can take more pictures if you think it would help (better closeup of the droppings/dirt, etc.).

Advertisement

Last edited by mupper; 06-18-2012 at 05:35 AM.
mupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 694

Unless there swarmers (winged termites that are prduced by the queen to fly off to form a new colony) black bugs will not be termites.
There also not going to leave sawdust behind.
Termites make mud tunnels to get from place to place when there exposed.

You have some other issues going on there to.
Looks like there's a deck of patio level with the doors threshold.
That's a 100% sure way to have water get in under the door and often it also takes out the sheathing, bottom plates, sheathing, trim, floors and wall studs.
Taping, wood filler and bug spray are not going to fix this one.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Most likely carpenter ants. Call an exterminator to come in and assess the situation. It is free for them to just come and look things over.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with above. Looks more like carpenter ants, which like moisture (I know). I bought the Ortho Max Home Defense from HD for 4.88 and it solved my problem. havn't seen ants for over a month now.

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Unless there swarmers (winged termites that are prduced by the queen to fly off to form a new colony) black bugs will not be termites.
There also not going to leave sawdust behind.
Termites make mud tunnels to get from place to place when there exposed.

You have some other issues going on there to.
Looks like there's a deck of patio level with the doors threshold.
That's a 100% sure way to have water get in under the door and often it also takes out the sheathing, bottom plates, sheathing, trim, floors and wall studs.
Taping, wood filler and bug spray are not going to fix this one.

So, I am guessing she will need to tear off the whole back of the house and start over?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Get some Talstar P and a sprayer and DIY - same ingrediant as the Ortho home defense but stronger. I use this at my house.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ta...97.html?page=3

Advertisement

Missnawlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
termite