Sealing This Old Window Well - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sealing this old window well

I built a garage on the side of my house, with a slab poured right up to this window well, which was formed up through the slab with cardboard. I put a dollop of concrete on vapor barrier in the bottom, but now I'd like to seal it up so that no pests, air, or moisture can get through. Any suggestions appreciated!

There are several problem points you can see/imagine from this picture:
  1. The joint between the metal well and the foundation walls. Was thinking of sealing that with a polyurethane caulk.
  2. The gravel under the new slab, abutting the top of the metal form. Was thinking maybe troweling hydraulic cement against all that?
  3. The drain line, which runs through the gravel and metal well. Was thinking I could use sprayfoam around that?

Advertisement

Last edited by dbooksta; 06-13-2013 at 08:03 PM.
dbooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

So I can understand the picture...

You ran the wiring and garage floor drain through the old window well? Is there an open window well in the floor of your garage?

From here that wiring looks like a horror show. I'd recommend cleaning it up before locking up everything around the window well.

Advertisement

CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The window well is open through the slab. I put a small mudroom on the slab just above it, so all the wires and plumbing end up in a stud bay just to one side.

To clarify: I'm not closing this well, I just want to seal around the metal form to the foundation walls and the poured slab.

I'll strap the wire bundle down once I've done whatever I can do to the perimeter of the well, but I don't know of any easy way to make a bundle of ten wires running from 18 to 8 gauge look better (or why it would matter?).
dbooksta is offline   Reply With Quote