Screen Enclosure Being Chewed (holes) By Squirrels - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

screen enclosure being chewed (holes) by squirrels

I don't really want to shoot or harm these squirrels, but they are chewing holes in my screen enclosure, then getting trapped on our porch and going crazy...I open the door and they finally go out, but they are ruining my screen. Getting tired of that and thinking of taking more drastic actions...Any advice???

Advertisement

jfpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

one of these might work
Attached Images
File Type: bmp dog.bmp (31.7 KB, 125 views)

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

They are creatures of habit. Breaking those habits, requires trapping/removal or more terminal methods. When squirrels are bold enough to get on our deck/house, we take action to re-establish the buffer zone. We live in a location where we have lots of choices, some of them are enjoyable.

Look on you tube for "squirrel Launcher", gotta try that sometime.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hey jfpowell you might also consider using something like the Havahart Critter Ridder. It's a repellent composed of oil of black pepper, piperin, capsaicin and related capsaicinoids. It comes in liquid and granular versions. I'm thinking the granular type could be used outside the porch to help enforce that buffer zone PAbugman spoke of and the the liquid could be sprayed on any surfaces the squirrels tend to favor. According to the website one issue you might run into is that it is also irritating to dogs and cats. So if you have pets this might not be a viable solution in which case I guess live traps are always an option. I don't have any personal experience using it myself but it seems like it might help with your situation.

Cheers,
ChrisFixit
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote