Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Rodent Control

I have either a mouse or rat problem under my kitchen sink. I have a ten month old child and I'm terrifed of hantavirus so I won't to rid myself of this asap but I'm afraid to clean up the droppings. To be honest, they could be fairly old b/c I have avoided dealing with it. I am not grossed out by it, but once I discovered this weekend that they can spread disease and hantavirus, I realized how important it is to take care of the problem. The CDC's website says to trap first, then leave the droppings for a week so that you know the virus is dead. Can I go ahead and clean the droppings that are present now? Or should I wait? I hate to leave poop in there! I also would like to know if I should seal up the holes under the sink first, or wait. If the droppings are old and the critters are gone, I don't want to invite them in again with a trap. Since its not cold outside, they may not be around any more.

I have attached a pic of the droppings. I'm not sure if it is a rat our mouse. My husband thinks mouse, but I think rat based on the size of the droppings. I am not sure what traps to buy, etc. I do not want to use poison since I have a child in the home and I would rather not see the vermin!
Attached Thumbnails
Rodent Control-image.jpeg  

dimples4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,278

Rodent Control

I agree, traps should be used, not poision. Another problem with poision is that the vermit can end up dying in your walls and stink really bad for awhile. I learned that lesson the hard way.

They do have traps which are disposable after mouse is caught. You just throw them away, mouse and all. Available at your local hardware or big box store.

As far as the droppings, I would clean them up. Put on a mask and some disposable rubber gloves, disefectant and clean it up. Or use a vaccuum cleaner if you prefer, some disefectant, then throw away the bag when you're done.

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

Rodent Control

Do I need to seal the holes I've found first it after? I don't think you are supposed to vacuum since it stirs up dust. Should I remove all of my child's toys to another room for the few days I'm trapping and cleaning? This is getting complicated and stressful!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rodent Control

I would seal the holes up after everything has been disinfected with some silicon caulk.

The best method is to wear a mask and rubber gloves, open windows, soak area with solution of bleach and water and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then wipe up with paper towels, discard everything into a garbage bad including gloves and mask, seal it up and throw it away in the trash can out side, wash your hands throughly with warm soapy water. Just a suggestion.

You are correct, no sweeping or vacuuming, you don't want the virus going airborne. Additionally, it's a good idea to disinfect and move your childrens toys to another room as you have suggested just to be on the safe side.

The bleach will kill any virusus, as long as you let it sit on infected area for 5 minutes or so. Click on link below for more information. Thanks.

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...protection.pdf

Last edited by jmon; 08-29-2014 at 01:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
ChristineRudolp (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Rodent Control

Jmon: Thanks for giving such effective tips. I have this terrible rodent problem, went through these tips for rodent control, they r so helpful.
ChristineRudolp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristineRudolp For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Rodent Control

Thanks for giving such effective tips. I have this terrible rodent problem, went through these tips for rodent control, they r so helpful.
ChristineRudolp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristineRudolp For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Rodent Control

Your welcome. Glad they worked for you.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

Rodent Control

I faced a similar had the same situation recently. Itís always best to leave these types of jobs to professionals especially when you have kidsthere is children in the house. I took the service of got help from swat wildlife control to get rid of these pests. these guys are really good. After removing the pests the removal they also sealed all entry points, preventing the return of those nuisance pests. These guys might be able to help you in future.
Albert J. Vanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #9

Rodent Control

I think it's back and I'm so distraught because I sealed up every hole except the one where the dishwasher hose is. There is nothing under there and I can't figure out what they would want in there. This time there aren't nearly as many droppings but I check regularly and this is new so I know it's fresh. That's what scares me bc if it had hantavirus it would still be viable. Maybe it's something besides a rat or mouse? Wouldn't there be more droppings?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Rodent Control

Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Rodent Control-image.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 138

Rodent Control

put a glue board in there.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
HDS

Rewards Points: 64

Rodent Control

We are dealing with them too. Pest control company put down poison, but I'm going to add some traps as well.

The mice were pretty bad 2 years ago, all over the attic where we were storing all our baby items between kids. Found a lot of droppings in the boxes and freaked a bit. Tossed a lot of stuff.

But the likelihood of getting the virus is very low, on 20 or so cases in the US in 2013 according to the CDC. Spray with bleach, wait a while, spray again and clean up.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #13

Rodent Control

So won't the bleach solution erode my cabinet? It looks like particle board. I really don't want bleach fumes blaring from my cabinets especially with a baby in the home. I don't even use cleaning products, only vinegar. I guess in this case its necessary. I bought some pre-mixed bleach disinfectant. The mouse made an appearance last night. I can tell by the droppings. I know I need to trap it but in scared to be near it. It's probably a house mouse. Still terrifies me to death!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 138

Rodent Control

put a glue board or a trap down. you can be scared, you won't have to deal with it until after it's trapped and dead. you got this.
r0ckstarr (11-13-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #15

Rodent Control

I cleaned up the feces bc it came back and I can't leave it with an infant in the home. I sprayed vinegar under the cabinet last night thinking the smell would keep it away but obviously that didn't work. It's particle board so I'm not sure it dried and I was afraid to spray bleach and create toxic gases so I just picked it up with lysol wipes. I'm regretting that. I'm putting one of those traps down tonight that I won't be able to see it if it's caught. But I don't want to soak the trap with bleach bc my son will be up in the morning. If I just lay the lysol wipes on the trap since the dead mouse will he inside will it still be safe? I'm freaking out!