Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Ridge Vent Roll for Keeping Mice Out

We had a mouse issue for awhile and it's getting under control now. I had an exterminator come over and do some stuff and I had some of that copper steel wool (sometimes sold as Stuff-It). Anyways, he tells me that a great way to seal your foundation against mice is to use that rolled plastic brillo looking stuff that is used for ridge vents. Well, lucky me, the previous owner left about five rolls brand new in the woods! So I got one out, cut it into strips, and jammed it where the house meets the foundation, all the way around. Two weeks later, after weeks of mice, and not a single critter is coming in.

I thought this was a "no way" thing, but it sure seemed to work and was much cheaper than Stuff-It. Maybe someone else can benefit from this.

dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dougp23 For This Useful Post:
cleverwatson (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Wha'da ya say....... I went to the hardware store for this Plastic Brillo stuff for ridge vents, and they thought I was crazy. Does it have a different name?

cleverwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,014

Unless your willing to buy a 50 ft. roll of it forget it. Most places do not sell it any more because it was hard to install and did not allow enough venting.
Steel wool works just as well, or use Scotch Brite pads.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
cleverwatson (01-04-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
pest control operator

Interesting idea. Iíve known of it to be called ďCobra VentĒ, not sure why itís named after a snake. Try a roofing supply place if the big box stores donít have it. Check the shingle/vents/flashing section of the big stores.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,014

May be called Cora vent because it looked like a snake eating a rat when over nailed.
Lowes, Home Depot, Bradco, and ABC Supply have stopped selling it once there stock is gone.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
We had a mouse issue for awhile and it's getting under control now. I had an exterminator come over and do some stuff and I had some of that copper steel wool (sometimes sold as Stuff-It). Anyways, he tells me that a great way to seal your foundation against mice is to use that rolled plastic brillo looking stuff that is used for ridge vents. Well, lucky me, the previous owner left about five rolls brand new in the woods! So I got one out, cut it into strips, and jammed it where the house meets the foundation, all the way around. Two weeks later, after weeks of mice, and not a single critter is coming in.

I thought this was a "no way" thing, but it sure seemed to work and was much cheaper than Stuff-It. Maybe someone else can benefit from this.
Wow you are lucky. The previous owner left you something useful in the woods. In my case I got siding and soffit material, particle board and a frame and axle from an old car....still sorting through the sh
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
pest control operator

Just saw many 50í rolls of cobra vent in our local Home Depot; $57.36 each if I remember.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

how about a cat?
cibula11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Wow you are lucky. The previous owner left you something useful in the woods. In my case I got siding and soffit material, particle board and a frame and axle from an old car....still sorting through the sh
Oh I had my share of useless stuff. Looks like they had a fire to burn some stuff, just some mattresses and whatnot

Got some plastic fenders from a couple of cars out there too. A big pile of really old door frames and windows (great spot for mice to hangout)!

Weird stuff too, a whole box of 24 (what I call) wood stove bricks (they are for the inside of your wood stove along the back and side for extreme temps).
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Unless your willing to buy a 50 ft. roll of it forget it. Most places do not sell it any more because it was hard to install and did not allow enough venting.
Steel wool works just as well, or use Scotch Brite pads.
Steel wool, or I think if you Google "stuff-it", that's one of the main brands. It's sort of like tearable copper brillo pads. But if you can find the roof ridge vent stuff,worked very nicely for me. I did not kow they were discontinuing this stuff, I wonder what they will replace it with.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Cobra Vent does work well for small gaps. Not so much for large gaps. Yes it is fairly expensive. Around $50.00 a roll. Using a small bead of silicone caulk to prevent it from coming out of gap is what I do. Metal or Copper Brillo is not so great. It does rust, and will get soft over time.

wildlife dude is offline   Reply With Quote