Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Raccoons in the attic

We have a 2-story home in Texas. Started noticing noises last spring in the attic. Some of the noises moved to above the first floor ceiling/below 2nd floor floor which is the location where I believe the raccoon had babies.

Now (September ... 6 monoths later) we still hear noises at that location and every night lots of noise in the attic.

We have tried banging pots and pans, leaving light on in attic, radio on in attic, putting dog blankets in the attic for predator smell. No luck yet.

I did notice several possible points of entry into the attic space, but I'm not going to close them up until I get rid of these raccoons (otherwise I think I will have dead or desparate raccoons trapped in my attic). I am pretty sure they can't get in/out every night without going thru the attic.

Live traps haven't worked. Once the bait was removed, the trap appeared sprung, but nothing inside. I think his buddies helped him escape. Since then, they haven't gone back in the live trap.

I want to ratchet up my attack to make sure we get rid of them this fall.

I just ordered an ultrasonic device which I will put in the attic. Relatively cheap under $50
http://www.havahart.com/store/sister...-the-home/M792

I guess I will order some of the Rid-A-Critter and Coyote Urine type products and spread them around the attic. Those are relatively low$ items.

From reading around the internet, I am given to believe the likelihood of evicting well-established comfortable raccoons with above techniques is relatively low.

The sites that sell the strobes say the strobe will handle this situation. I think I would need 3 133K candlepower strobes to cover my attic at a cost of $400 - $700 (depending on where they are purchased).

Here are two such sites:
http://www.rodentstrobe.com/
http://www.evictorproducts.com/

If it'll work, it'll be worth the money. I am curious if anyone has tried these products and how they worked.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

electricpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #2

Raccoons in the attic

Put a couple rattlesnakes up there

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #3

Raccoons in the attic

My brother in law had the same problem. He called our local "mole man" who was able to come out with some crafty tools (not sure what) and scoop them out through the overhand of his roof. Call your mole man!?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-17-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed from Signature
dantheman9727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #4

Raccoons in the attic

I do this crap for a living, such as it is

Keep using the live trap but try sardines or tuna and wire the can in the trap so he can't just pick it up over the trigger plate
Even coon are not smart enough to figure out how to spring a buddy

The scarecrow devices you speak of may help to deter new coons from coming in but once they have decided that this is their home it will make little difference

Once you have caught the animal it is very important not only to seal the hole but to harden it. simply replacing the soffit that she moved will not take care of the problem

The hole wont be hardto find, but you mayneed to get on the roof to find it
Pay attention to any eave gaps
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #5

Raccoons in the attic

If you are in the Dallas area try 911wildlife.com they offer humane services. There are tips on their website too.
darlenep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #6

Raccoons in the attic

I always heard that coons can NOT resist honey or marshmellows. you can try those aas trap bait. you could also use those neck breaker traps in attic space you can get to and remove carcasses. They cant stay ion a house very long,,,they need food and water. cept for winter hibernation.

They are indeed brazen critters that wont go easy. Have you ever seen an attic with those knot heads in there?? FULL of 'dangerous' coon crap,,,AND insulation is torn to NOTHING!!! I tore down a mobile home that had them in there,,,I couldnt believe the devastation of the attic.

IF they were born there,they think they OWN the space!!!

ONE way would be plant sweet corn just outside this house,,,like in a flower garden,,,they cannot stay away. I have "HEARD" and never tried this last tip,,,coke and Maldrin fly bait mixed in a shallow pan in right amount,,they also cant resist,,they dont get 10' from the pan. they are sweet acholics,the coke draws them in,the fly bait does them in. IF they get more than 10' increase fly bait concentrate. Like a cup full of fly bait in a liter of coke. Like I say,never done myself,,,just saying what others have said!!! have heard of 20 or more laying in a pile,,,night after night.

One LAST thing,,,coons have a "DEADLY" disease they carry so ANY contact with coon feces,use max protection. have heard horror stories of small kids dying because they handled droppings in local park,big city parks,,,how would you feel if something like going to the park killed your grandchild??"DEVASTATING" ONLY good coon is a dead coon,,,for me!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Bug Expert

Raccoons in the attic

You need to find how they are entering, and close it up. Place a live wildlife trap in your attic with some tasty bait. When caught, haul the raccoon away.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-05-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #8

Raccoons in the attic

I advise against trapping inside the attic

In the first place you are less likely to be successful and in the second once a coon is trapped they will pull everything within reach into the trap
This includes insulation, drywall and any wiring they can find, and they have a long reach and determined nature

It is totally inadvisable to close up any openings until the coon is caught
if you think they make big holes just coming in wait till you see what a pissed off locked out coon will do to your house, especially if she has babies

I just got back from a $2000 dollar estimate for this very reason

Just figure out how it is climbing up to the roof, either by tree or pool enclosure or a shed close to the house
The roof access could very well be on the far side of the house from the entry point
Place you trap with the fish based bait can securely tied in and wait for him to come to you
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #9

Raccoons in the attic

Put a neck breaker trap up in the atic,,they wont do any damage THEN!! best if kept away from pets tho. Thats why the attic is perfect place!! close to the hole so you can pull him out of there
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #10

Raccoons in the attic

Last year, we had a water damage job that involved an abandoned house where racoons had lived for about 4 months. What would have been a $5K job turned into a $10K job just because of the racoons: ceiling torn down, complete defumigation, sprayed with an odour encapsulant; then new drywall.

Unbelievable damage; same racoon family situation...mother, two babies etc. It took a good week just to undo the smell and non-physical damage to the joists and things. The rest was replaceable.

My advice? get professional help like ocoee gives and quit chasing the internet for gimmicks. Spend your money wisely on a solution, not on hype.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #11

Raccoons in the attic

Find the entrance and get it plugged.

Second is to use your live trap and put a partially open can of tuna in there. They will have to mess with the can to get to the tuna. This will assure that they move around enough to spring the trap.

You have to do both. If you just plug the hole they will die for lack of water and food and will smell real bad till they are eaten but the flies.

Once the hole is plugged they will get real hungry and will be more inclined to get the food in the cage.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #12

Raccoons in the attic

Most everyone has got a good idea for trapping the raccoons, but I must stress that when the creatures are caught, you seal-up and secure ALL possible entry points. Even the larger rodents like raccoons are able to squeeze into spaces much smaller than their size suggests.
Cashcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #13

Raccoons in the attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpete View Post
We have a 2-story home in Texas. Started noticing noises last spring in the attic. Some of the noises moved to above the first floor ceiling/below 2nd floor floor which is the location where I believe the raccoon had babies.

Now (September ... 6 monoths later) we still hear noises at that location and every night lots of noise in the attic.

We have tried banging pots and pans, leaving light on in attic, radio on in attic, putting dog blankets in the attic for predator smell. No luck yet.

I did notice several possible points of entry into the attic space, but I'm not going to close them up until I get rid of these raccoons (otherwise I think I will have dead or desparate raccoons trapped in my attic). I am pretty sure they can't get in/out every night without going thru the attic.

Live traps haven't worked. Once the bait was removed, the trap appeared sprung, but nothing inside. I think his buddies helped him escape. Since then, they haven't gone back in the live trap.

I want to ratchet up my attack to make sure we get rid of them this fall.

I just ordered an ultrasonic device which I will put in the attic. Relatively cheap under $50
http://www.havahart.com/store/sister...-the-home/M792

I guess I will order some of the Rid-A-Critter and Coyote Urine type products and spread them around the attic. Those are relatively low$ items.

From reading around the internet, I am given to believe the likelihood of evicting well-established comfortable raccoons with above techniques is relatively low.

The sites that sell the strobes say the strobe will handle this situation. I think I would need 3 133K candlepower strobes to cover my attic at a cost of $400 - $700 (depending on where they are purchased).

Here are two such sites:
http://www.rodentstrobe.com/
http://www.evictorproducts.com/

If it'll work, it'll be worth the money. I am curious if anyone has tried these products and how they worked.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

guys, it's this simple. You ever put your face up to a bottle of pure ammonia? It burns so bad your head snaps back. You know how raccoons have such an acute sense of smell, they can smell things from miles away? they REALLY don't like ammonia.

Put a bucket of ammonia in your attic. Put a fan up there to blow the scent around. they freak out, and leave on their own. If you put enough, within an hour. If not, that night.

Board the entrance up, and you're all good.
torlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #14

Raccoons in the attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
I always heard that coons can NOT resist honey or marshmellows. you can try those aas trap bait. you could also use those neck breaker traps in attic space you can get to and remove carcasses. They cant stay ion a house very long,,,they need food and water. cept for winter hibernation.

They are indeed brazen critters that wont go easy. Have you ever seen an attic with those knot heads in there?? FULL of 'dangerous' coon crap,,,AND insulation is torn to NOTHING!!! I tore down a mobile home that had them in there,,,I couldnt believe the devastation of the attic.

IF they were born there,they think they OWN the space!!!

ONE way would be plant sweet corn just outside this house,,,like in a flower garden,,,they cannot stay away. I have "HEARD" and never tried this last tip,,,coke and Maldrin fly bait mixed in a shallow pan in right amount,,they also cant resist,,they dont get 10' from the pan. they are sweet acholics,the coke draws them in,the fly bait does them in. IF they get more than 10' increase fly bait concentrate. Like a cup full of fly bait in a liter of coke. Like I say,never done myself,,,just saying what others have said!!! have heard of 20 or more laying in a pile,,,night after night.

One LAST thing,,,coons have a "DEADLY" disease they carry so ANY contact with coon feces,use max protection. have heard horror stories of small kids dying because they handled droppings in local park,big city parks,,,how would you feel if something like going to the park killed your grandchild??"DEVASTATING" ONLY good coon is a dead coon,,,for me!!
How come the fly bait and coke is not working for me?
I tried 7 up and fly bait and there was no dead coon near my property after the liquid in the bowl was missing....can anyone help me out?
lately the coons have not been drinking anything I mix
I use two teaspoons and 1 can of pop when mixing.
KOKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #15

Raccoons in the attic

Because 7-up is not Coke, you crazy Texan!* Coke is Coca-Cola!

* guess based on regional slang

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote