Pre-treat Or Not To Pre-treat? Fire Ants - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pre-treat or not to pre-treat? Fire Ants

Greetings,

I'm in the process of purchasing just over a 1/4 acre of land and see that it's infested with fire ants. Apparently this is the one thing I didn't count on when moving to SC. My question is, should I pre-treat the property before the excavation begins? It's my understanding that using bait for fire ants is best done when not disturbing the mounds, ergo I should do some control prior to excavation.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Iguana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,366

Just a suggestion, I would first go to your local county agricultural department or professional exterminator for your area and ask them what's the best way to get rid of them. They may know more about your specific location and be able to help. Just a thought.

If no help there, then I would excavate, wait a couple weeks, see where they pop up afterwards, then treat the mound. As you probably know, the queen must be killed to destroy the nest. I'm sure you'll kill a few queens during the excavation process. However, you'll never get rid of all of them anyway. It's an ongoing process that you will have to stay on top of. Be vigilant.

Stay tuned, there are a couple of professional exterminators that are regulars on this forum, maybe they will chime in and give you some more advice. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 12-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

You never "get rid of" fire ants. You only reach a sort of detente with them where they aren't in places that you traffic a lot. You learn to live with spotting mounds as a regular maintenance activity, and teach vigilance for them to all family members.
jmon (12-23-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the excavation will be for a manufactured home with brick underpinning. In other words, they'll basically be scratching the surface of the ground and not killing any queens which I assume are going to be deep underground.
Iguana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iguana Man For This Useful Post:
jmon (12-26-2013)