Pest Prevention In New Construction - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pest Prevention in New Construction

We are building a house that sits 20 feet from a lake in central Louisiana. I would like to know if there is anything I can do before we drywall to prevent insects and other pests in years to come. I have been told that I can sprinkle boric acid in the walls before the drywall goes up but haven't found much online to back that up and my husband wants something more to go on than heresy. I'd like to know what options there are and that they are safe for children and pets. Cockroaches and spiders (black widow/brown recluse) are a big problem in this area so they are my number one concern right now but I'm sure we will be greeted with tons of other creepy crawlies. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Advertisement

smcwms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Pest Prevention in New Construction

In my area the bank would not even give you a draw for the new stage of constrution without a treatment. There require what's called a pretreat.
Which means when the foundations finished they shoot chemecals down inside the voids in the block and on the inside and outside of the footing.

Just spreading around some Boron is not going to cut it.

There's Products that can be sprayed on the bare wood that will kill any insects that try to eat the wood,
Timbor, Boracare are two that come to mind.
Any exterminator can do it for you. It's faster and not all that expencive to have them do it.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new construction , pest prevention