Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #1

Share |

Overrun by Gnats! Thousands all over the side of the house!

Nasty Gnats Everywhere! I checked the gutters and they are dry as a bone. The grass around the yard has a lot of gnats, the side of the house has tons of gnats. How do I control these? I have a tub of Demon WP (actually generic Cypermethrin Wettable Powder) that I can put into a gallon sprayer and it will likely kill them but that seems like a short term solution to a long term problem.

Where do all these suckers come from? The siding and wood trim are "ok" in most places, only a few minor areas where I've noticed some wood rotting but the gnats aren't really close to that area.
Here are some pictures of it:

Its like that ALL OVER the side of the house and also walking through the yard. They look kind of like mosquitoes but have a shorter body and two fluffy antenna instead of the sharp proboscis.

Any tips before I go to town spraying this evening?

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

I'd try hosing them down with hot water first. another possibility would be pyrethrin which is a chemical that would need to be applied my a Pest Control Technician. Pyrethrum is crushed African daisies and is the natural equivalent but this would not only be difficult to apply but probably wouldn't work anyway. Another possible treatment could be with Diatomaceous Earth: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/ I believe they also sell dusters for applying the DE.

Too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Thanks, I might look into those.
I used the Cyper because its what I had on hand, it killed them (and some nasty looking spiders too). I also plugged in the bug zapper the last couple nights. It was like the 4th of july! Each morning there must have been a thousand dead gnats stuck to it or on the ground. I had to clean it off each morning so it would keep working correctly.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Ah, yes, bug zapper!!! We have one but my wife doesn't like me using it (not sure why). In my area, I'd love to feed the lizards as they keep the insect population under control and the bug zapper is an excellent way to do that. The birds also feed on the dead bugs. In my younger days, when we had a small farm with a few animals, I rigged up a clear plastic panel with a neon light behind it. It was loaded with bugs. The turkeys loved it.
Too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

Avian powered bug zapper! Cool!
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote