Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

New Pest Control Forum!

Well, this is a topic that I overlooked when setting up this site but I think we need a topic dedicated to it.

Enjoy

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #2

New Pest Control Forum!

Not a lot happening and not entirely sure what problems will need answers.
Have been a pest controller in Australia for almost 20 years. Glad to assist where possible.
James

Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #3

New Pest Control Forum!

Great to have you here James. Welcome!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #4

New Pest Control Forum!

Cockroaches, mosquitoes, flies, rats, termites, ants ó these are pesky pests I hate seeing inside the house. They come in all sizes, and mind you, they come in armies.

I like doing cleaning errands in the house although I only have the time during weekends. I also have this notion that a house reflects the personality of its owner so I make it a point to never leave a mess behind.

• I use highly effective sanitizing products and professional pest control supplies that are not harmful to the environment and my health. I have trusted insect killers at home, which I use on instant insect sightings.
  • I donít treat my house as a recycling facility. I segregate my waste between biodegradable and non-biodegradable and properly discard it in the dumpster at night.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
DR.G.V.RAJ

New Pest Control Forum!

The pests inside the houses need different concentration of pesticides in the formulations. The most trusted are Deltamethrin, Allethrin,Cyfluthrin,Transfluthrin,Imiprothrin,Pra llethrin. So far no perfect study hasa been carried out to tell the consumer which is good to all the age group and what will be the long term effect. Every company will claim the toxic level to some acceptable level, but no one gives the purity and impurity requirement. For the use in the houses, the label should mark all the details of the technical and a guarantee from the technical supplier which should be printed in the label to avoid use of low quality material.

DR.G.V.RAJ
Old 07-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #6

Lightbulb

New Pest Control Forum!

I was talking w/a friend who had just paid $1100 for termite work on her 13 yr old house. We live in the same n'hood w 2 story homes. I told her I was having critter control over b/c I heard a noise in my ceiling. when the guy came out (it was just birds) I asked why some people get termites and some don't. I told him that we spray every year the perimeter of the outside of our house yearly w/ Ortho Home Defense or similar product and he said it contained a checmical that may well have kept the termites away. We do it for basement spiders and other bugs. If this can help someone I wanted to post it. I truely believe that's why we don't have them. He explained the process of getting rid of the termites and its quite extensive once u have them; drilling thru your concrete every 12 inches, etc. Hope this can help someone prevent termites, especiallt those w/ newer homes!~Tracey
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #7

Wink

New Pest Control Forum!

I've used Terminix pest control for a problem I had about a year ago. They did a great job and fixed my cockroach infestation within two short visits. I just called them and they told me how much it would cost before they came out. It was nothing excessive like $700.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #8

New Pest Control Forum!

Having grown up in south Georgia, roaches were just a way of life! The little devils would walk in the door and keeping them under control was a daily job.

Thre are two things I can recommend that are both economical and work great:

Bengal Roach Spray - available at Ace, WalMart, etc. - lasts 3 months and has a straw (like WD-40) to get into cracks and crevices. The Bengal spray with the gold top lasts 6 months. The key ingredient is "permethrin" so anything containing it from the DIY pest control stores would probably be as good. If you use the Bengal on your threshholds and even see a bug in your house, it will be lying on its back dead.

Secondly, if you have carpet and pets, the time release borax, also available at the DIY pest control stores, is just like what Fleabusters uses. It will last a year and chase away all kinds of bugs including fleas and roaches. Last time I bought it cost was about $30 for about a gallon sized jug.

Both work well and are harmless to pets and children.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #9

New Pest Control Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3girlz View Post
I was talking w/a friend who had just paid $1100 for termite work on her 13 yr old house. We live in the same n'hood w 2 story homes. I told her I was having critter control over b/c I heard a noise in my ceiling. when the guy came out (it was just birds) I asked why some people get termites and some don't. I told him that we spray every year the perimeter of the outside of our house yearly w/ Ortho Home Defense or similar product and he said it contained a checmical that may well have kept the termites away. We do it for basement spiders and other bugs. If this can help someone I wanted to post it. I truely believe that's why we don't have them. He explained the process of getting rid of the termites and its quite extensive once u have them; drilling thru your concrete every 12 inches, etc. Hope this can help someone prevent termites, especiallt those w/ newer homes!~Tracey
Hi there, have been in the pest game for close to 25 years, and i must say that there is no magic wand or chemical that works as per the label against termites. ur friend is lucky, thats all....happy to discuss further
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

New Pest Control Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceK View Post
Having grown up in south Georgia, roaches were just a way of life! The little devils would walk in the door and keeping them under control was a daily job.

Thre are two things I can recommend that are both economical and work great:

Bengal Roach Spray - available at Ace, WalMart, etc. - lasts 3 months and has a straw (like WD-40) to get into cracks and crevices. The Bengal spray with the gold top lasts 6 months. The key ingredient is "permethrin" so anything containing it from the DIY pest control stores would probably be as good. If you use the Bengal on your threshholds and even see a bug in your house, it will be lying on its back dead.

Secondly, if you have carpet and pets, the time release borax, also available at the DIY pest control stores, is just like what Fleabusters uses. It will last a year and chase away all kinds of bugs including fleas and roaches. Last time I bought it cost was about $30 for about a gallon sized jug.

Both work well and are harmless to pets and children.
Borax is harmless? http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s3122.htm
Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

New Pest Control Forum!

Borax

[edit] Toxicity

Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic.[11] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats.[12] This does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats. Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [13]
A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[14] Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[15]
Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #12

New Pest Control Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Borax

[edit] Toxicity

Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic.[11] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats.[12] This does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats. Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [13]
A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[14] Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[15]
exactly right...when a company starts advertising its products as being safe and family friendly, alarm bells should be ringing.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #13

New Pest Control Forum!

hi
friends i am new one here.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #14

New Pest Control Forum!

I had the classic termite senario: 12 year old house in Georgia, block and brick raised ranch. They came in through a crack in the basement concrete floor which ran along under a support wall that bisected the house. The wall studs sat atop a pressure treated 2x4 along the entire length of the wall. The termites colinized a bottle crate that sat on the floor, next to the stud wall. Only after they tunneled up into the wooden crate could they span the pressure treated barrier. The stud terminated in the ATTIC, where I first noticed the termites.
The lesson I learned was this:
Building codes far outweigh the effectiveness of chemical barriers when it comes to termite protection. Maintain the clearance and patch the cracks!
The Following User Says Thank You to LawnRanger For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-14-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #15

New Pest Control Forum!

Hello, guys, just to let you know about a new pest control company, in New York City. I have ordered them last month. I was skeptical at first since they are new. But, they did a very good job.

Last edited by beenthere; 01-29-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: removed link
Closed Thread