Mouse Holes - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051

Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Mouse Holes

Does anyone know if installing metal floor molding is an effective way to prevent mice from creating holes?

I recently moved into an apartment and with the cold weather, mice have become an issue. I searched for their entry points and have uncovered a few small holes in the drywall behind the kitchen appliances, which I've filled with steel wool and expanding foam. There wasn't any floor molding at all behind the appliances. If I install metal molding, would that prevent them from creating new entry points back there?

Molding is about 5 inches high. My concern is that they could just chew a new hole above where the metal molding ends.

Advertisement

JCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,278

Re: Mouse Holes

Hi JC,
Actually, I like to leave a known entry point open and a couple of traps on the inside to greet them. Even if you successfully block all the holes you see they are still inside your walls doing their business and raising more trouble makers.

At one entry point above a basement window I set 3 traps and over a few weeks I caught probably a dozen mice. Then the count went to zero and I closed off the hole. But that way I knew there were no more critters searching the exterior of my home to find another point.

You could create a wire cage to enclose the traps and place it where they can get to the traps but not further inside.

Just my thoughts.

Bud

Advertisement

Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14,020

Talked to the landlord yet about this issue?
Far better to kill the mice and seal up the holes on the outside where there getting in.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 406

I agree, better to kill them off. If you must put on molding, you can put wire hardware cloth, about 1/4" grid, under the wood molding before you put it on. Home Depot.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Agreed that best solution would be to seal the entry points outside the building, but it's not a house, it's an apartment building in a city...so rodents are somewhat of an expectation. I just want to keep them out of my unit.

Anyone have experience with metal molding? I assume a mouse can't chew through metal. But would they just chew a hole above the molding instead?

As i mentioned, the known entry points are behind kitchen appliances, so they are impossible for me to monitor. I'd like to create a solution once and for all back there where i'll know that they can't come through.
JCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 76

i will give you some home-made solutions
1) put some "Red Chili powder" near mouse hole.
2) put some onion slice near mouse hole.

i hope it is helpful for you...
viveksuthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

I am petrified of mice and terrified of the diseases they can spread. Wouldn’t depend on moldings to cover the holes. Had a similar problem a couple of years back and contacted .............. because they said they used humane pest control techniques. You’ve got to do more than covering their entry points and you don’t need to get rid of the problem yourself when there’s help at hand.

Last edited by BigJim; 02-10-2017 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Advertising Link Removed
Stephaniecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMan View Post
Agreed that best solution would be to seal the entry points outside the building, but it's not a house, it's an apartment building in a city...so rodents are somewhat of an expectation. I just want to keep them out of my unit.

Anyone have experience with metal molding? I assume a mouse can't chew through metal. But would they just chew a hole above the molding instead?

As i mentioned, the known entry points are behind kitchen appliances, so they are impossible for me to monitor. I'd like to create a solution once and for all back there where i'll know that they can't come through.
Based on my experience, mice cannot chew through steel that is 20 gauge or thicker.

Advertisement

miceblocker is offline   Reply With Quote