Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 249
Share |
Default

Mold and spores


So the house I bought had a slight amount of mold. The apartment I was in apparently had a lot... I guess mold is a pest, it's alive and I don't want it in my house right?

The house has a little mold in the basement just along one wall, very little; the wall has water coming in because water is pooling at the foundation of the house, an issue I'll fix by correcting the gutter downspout (it dumps water at the foundation) and the grade of the back yard (it slopes toward the house). For now I've sprayed that mold with Moldex, and I've added a dehumidifier set to 45% to keep the area dry and hostile for mold.

Problem: when dry, mold spores.

A year ago I started itching like hell and developing tons of rashes. Found out the girls downstairs had visible mold growing from the ceiling, coming from my apartment. Now, with the basement in my house dehumidified, when I go down there I start developing rashes immediately. I need a shower and fresh clothes after a visit down there. There's no insulation, so I guess it could only be mold spores.

So currently, my plan is as follows:
  • Add a filter to the furnace (I didn't put one in yet, not sure what size it takes)
  • Add a HEPA filter of some kind (actual HEPA, at least MERV 5, preferably MERV 9 or higher) to the basement
  • Regularly vacuum and occasionally steam-clean the carpet until I replace it with wood
  • Regularly (every other day) wash the shikibuton cover, pillow covers, and blankets
Anti-histamines totally eliminate the reaction for about 6 days on one dose, but I should really remove the mold spores.


Is all this sensible?

__________________
If you can't explain why, then you don't know what you're talking about. I'll keep asking until I find someone who does.
bluefoxicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 325
Default

Mold and spores


A good scrub with a bleach-water solution will do the trick on concrete (and other places, for that matter). Get the water issue sorted out first. You might have to get the concrete sealed against water infiltration.

Everything else seems sensible. You'll never completely get rid of the spores (they are everywhere) but if you keep things dry things should be OK. Make sure not to store cardboard or other mold-food down there.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
bbo
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Packerland !!
Posts: 1,016
Default

Mold and spores


if you suspect mold in the carpet and/or pad, best to just get rid of it right away. I'm not a fan of carpet below grade, if that's where it is.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Mold and spores


You might want to pursue some allergy patch tests. Not saying your problem is not mold and I was once diagnosed with environmental pneumonia for lack of anything else that made sense.

Skin rashes tend to suggest to me you are encountering something other than mold to make you itchy.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Mold and spores


itchy?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
bbo
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Packerland !!
Posts: 1,016
Default

Mold and spores


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
itchy?
yes, think kids with lice .. .itchy yet?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Mold and spores


quite
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 146
Default

Mold and spores


Your plan is only preventive, not elimination. Those steps would be good after elimination.
Elimination is not easy.

If this were my place, I would obtain a fogging machine and fog a good disenfectant onto all surfaces. That could involve removal of interior wall coverings, like drywall, plaster lathe, plywood.....This would require a full face respirator and a plastic suit.

The disenfectant I would select would be EnviroCare. I think it is better than Chlorox for dealing with fungi or bacteria.

Chlorox, etal, on the surface of concrete will not do anything but kill the stuff on the surface. If the problem comes from the ground into the concrete, it would be even more difficult to solve.

Seek help. I don't know where you are, but I suspect there is some organization (like state level - not EPA) who can give you some specifics on what you are dealing with.

Good luck.
Gary
gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 205
Default

Mold and spores


might want to check out http://www.goapesonline.com/productd...ID=2&pID=11492
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,843
Default

Mold and spores


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
Looks like a great biocide. At $68.00 per gallon it ought to be. Doesn't say a thing about fungicidal properties. If you've got mold growing on a masonry surface, scrub it down with a mild bleach solution (no more than 10%). Masonry does not contain any significant organic material. Therefore it will not support mold growth. In fact the PH for concrete is way out of range to support fungi. Any mold living on a masonry surface is thriving on collected organics (dust) on the surface. A scrub down with a stiff brush, a cleaner and then a rinse will remove it.

Remove the mold colonies and you will significantly reduce the spore count. I said "reduce", not eliminate. It is impossible to completely eliminate mold spores. The last breath you took included at least several, no matter where you were (unless you were breathing medical grade bottled oxygen ).

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mold in Wall from prior leak crayola110 Drywall & Plaster 17 11-02-2012 05:37 PM
Mold found - unsure what to do?? izzyant88 General DIY Discussions 12 06-17-2011 06:21 AM
Concrobium or White Vinegar? eis61374 Remodeling 8 11-17-2008 06:56 AM
A Mold Remediation Emergency White Elk General DIY Discussions 29 10-04-2008 09:01 AM
Mold meter? garrettb Plumbing 1 08-29-2008 10:35 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.