Mobile Home Vents - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mobile home vents

At times we have mice, crickets, etc., getting into the vents in a mobile home. I have started leaving glue boards in the two suspect vents and sure enough there are outside critters on them from time to time.

I feel like there has to be an opening under there for this to happen. In the winter when the wind blows, I can also feel a breeze coming up through there, again making me think there has to be an opening.

I don't like the mice in there and feel that the vents are dirty and unhealthy due to the virus they can cause. I don't know whether to call someone to clean the vents or try and find somebody to rip out all the duct work and start again. But then again, I fear the same problem will be repeated and possibly money for all the new vents would have been a waste.

Who does this type of work and what do you think the ballpark cost of this type of work would be?

Advertisement

Angeldove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Mobile home vents

Any HVAC company can do it but why not do it yourself.
Only going to cost a roll of foil tape of you do it yourself. Find a torn up piece of duct work, just replace it.
I'd be placing some Decon under the home along the skirting.
No one here is going to be quoting any prices.
Since you chose not to add your location, no ones seen your home, how could they even guess what the labor rate or material cost is?

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #3

Mobile home vents

Sorry Joe - it's Georgia. I was just assuming that since you know I'm talking about a mobile home, it would not have a lot of duct work.

We keep poison under the mobile home. It helps, but once in awhile one eats the poison, gets in the vent and climbs out of the vent and hides in the house. In a few days we have to start hunting him.

I think I'll need a handyman for the job.

Last edited by Angeldove; 06-12-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 610

Mobile home vents

There's going to be at least one duct to every room in the house, lager rooms will have more.
Everyone of those floor registers is connected to a duct.
Whoever does it make sure they use foil duct tape not the fabric duct tape or it will rot.
May want to try some big glue traps, it will catch insects, mice and snakes.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Mobile home vents

Thanks, Joe!

I keep a glue board in the "suspect" vent.

I'm going to try and find somebody that would go under the house. I don't know if it is important or not, but I have even thought of having all the old insulation underneath torn out and new put back. The place was empty for awhile and I know the mice ran rampant. And then again, being out in the middle of a field, putting in new insulation might be throwing money away. They'll probably come right back and get in the insulation. Maybe I need to focus more on keeping them out of the vents where they won't have a way to get inside the home.