Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

Mice are not nice

I definitely have mice in the floor between the first and second floor of my house (I cut a hole in the kitchen ceiling Sheetrock to fix a leak from the bath piping on the second floor, at the same time put a live catch mouse trap, and am catching them). I am pretty sure that they are getting in using the external corner trim of the vinyl siding (my cats sit there all day in the summer). I know that the professionals that you can hire have some kind of wire mesh that they attach to access points in the house (gutter pipes, etc), that has a trap door in it so that the mice can leave, but not get back in. Is anyone familiar with what this product is, and where I can get them? While the newer corner trim pieces have some backing behind them, mine does not. There is a gap of 1/2 inch to an inch, that the mice use to crawl up and then somehow get into the soffit vent areas, and then into the space between the floors. I had tried the spray can foam at the bottom of the corner trim, but that does not appear to be working, as that can be chewed through. I understand that others use this in combination with steel wool to lock the steel wool in place, but not sure if that is the way to go. Is there any kind of cap to put on the bottom end of the corner trim? Also, once I do eliminate the mice, I am thinking of placing some peppermint oil around, my understanding is that mice cannot stand this and stay away (has anyone else heard this?).

louwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
the Musigician

Mice are not nice

The foam and steel wool might do it, but peppermint oil had no effects on OUR mice....
Luckily (for us, not them) they all liked peanut butter though....

DM

Old 12-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #3

Mice are not nice

Steel wool works. Not sure about peppermint oil, but I would focus on longer term corrective actions, such as pipe chases, between levels, etc.; probably not a lot that you can do between the first and second floor, but check between the basement or crawlspace and the first floor, and the second floor and attic.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #4

Mice are not nice

Mice can get through gaps as small as 1/4" so you want to make sure all holes are plugged.

Use chicken wire (obviously with hole sizes smaller than 1/4") and cement it or concrete it in place.

Keep your mouse traps in place until all mice are gone.

Mark

P.S. We have found using cotton wool dipped in peppermint effective.
Mark Pest is offline   Reply With Quote