Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

kitty litter moths

Please don't laugh! (It's kinda funny, but a pain in the pocket book.) We've had a problem with kitty litter moths, since last summer. There is nothing in the pantry or cupboards for these moths to go for. Never in all my years of owning a cat or 2, that moths came out of kitty litter. We bought moth traps and invested/wasted $30.00. and that only trapped a few moths. We nail them, when we see them. We now microwave the kitty litter, once we open a new box. These moths don't eat fabric, thank goodness.

Besides eating kitty litter or ??? we're not sure how they survive. They are fast and blend in our carpet. If we can't get rid of these by summer, we'll have to board our 2 kitties over night, buy bug bombs and set them off. Leave, then come back and air out the house and wipe down any residue. Then go get two ticked off kitties and deal with them, cuz they won't be happy campers.

If anybody has had this problem....please let us know how you got rid of the dang moths! Thank you for your time.

Julie

JulieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

kitty litter moths

I've never heard of moth eggs inside kitty litter.

I'd suggest scrubbing kitty's area and box. Then try a new brand

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

kitty litter moths

First you have to figure out what type moth they are before you can try and find the cause or treatment.
http://www.dpughphoto.com/moths.htm
Once you ID it key word search the name.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

kitty litter moths

We threw out the whole box of litter, when we first had the problem. We also scrubbed the litter box and started out fresh. The moths don't eat fabric. We were informed that they most likely ate cat kibble. We've never seen any, in their bowl. We check it daily. We've done our do diligence daily and nail any moths. It's not a daily event anymore. It can take up to a week, before we see one, on the wall. The directions say that we have to wait 6 weeks, before we know for sure that the moths are gone. Well that hasn't happened yet. UGH!!! We'll continue to nuke the litter, prior to using it. We plan to paint this summer and we don't want to see a bunch of moth bodies stuck to our freshly painted walls.

Julie
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

kitty litter moths

Moths and their eggs in animal kibble is very common. Our food too. Cereals, flours, granola..all that stuff. (try not to think about it too much or you may never eat again. Its actually called filth. Certain foods..rice, teabags, oatmeal is allowed a certain percentage of heavy filth. This includes dead insects and rodent eyelashes)

If it gets old the eggs hatch and out come the moths. Its best to consume all food while the eggs are still eggs as its less gross that way
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #6

kitty litter moths

When I lived on boats we would always store flour and corn meal in the referator. If we found meal worms we just stick the container in the micro wave and used it anyway.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

kitty litter moths

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
When I lived on boats we would always store flour and corn meal in the referator. If we found meal worms we just stick the container in the micro wave and used it anyway.
Easier to ignore them if they are dead huh Joe

If you think about it too long, food is really gross
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

kitty litter moths

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just added protein.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

kitty litter moths

Sorry, but the majority of kitty litter is made of baked clay, others are made of recycled newspaper. Then there is the kind made from Corn product "World's Best Cat Litter", which can contain eggs and bugs.

So if you are getting a bug infestation, time for you to call in the professionals and have them exterminate the pests.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

kitty litter moths

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Just added protein.
That is what dad always told me, when he was stationed in South America, back in the sixties, playing Cold war spy games as a Spook for the Air force, running an Elephant Cage radio tower. They got tired of picking out the bugs from the bread, and just ended up eating them, since it was extra protein.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #11

kitty litter moths

i us the corn products cat litter. i have never seen any bugs in it.

btw, i love this stuff ! its not dirty like clay litter.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

kitty litter moths

Thanks for the link Joe. We had no idea there were that many moths. yuck!

In the middle of the room, one of our cats sat on her back legs and reached up and clapped her paws and nailed a moth. I had no idea what she was doing. I wish I could have gotten a picture of her, in action. It was funny.

Between our 2 cats and us.....maybe we'll nail them ALL. (I can wish....Can't I?)

Thanks for the replies.
Julie
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #13

kitty litter moths

do your cats go outside ?
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #14

kitty litter moths

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ View Post
Please don't laugh! (It's kinda funny, but a pain in the pocket book.) We've had a problem with kitty litter moths, since last summer. There is nothing in the pantry or cupboards for these moths to go for. Never in all my years of owning a cat or 2, that moths came out of kitty litter. We bought moth traps and invested/wasted $30.00. and that only trapped a few moths. We nail them, when we see them. We now microwave the kitty litter, once we open a new box. These moths don't eat fabric, thank goodness.

Besides eating kitty litter or ??? we're not sure how they survive. They are fast and blend in our carpet. If we can't get rid of these by summer, we'll have to board our 2 kitties over night, buy bug bombs and set them off. Leave, then come back and air out the house and wipe down any residue. Then go get two ticked off kitties and deal with them, cuz they won't be happy campers. ..
Are you sure they (their young) don't eat fabric?

In addition, the adult moths, if they are still in the litter when the cats use it, will carry microscopic bits of cat feces about the place although no more than houseflies do.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #15

kitty litter moths

No, they don't go outside. The prior owners had them declawed.

Iffin the moths are eatting fabric, we haven't seen any holes yet.

I'd like to know where they hang out all day. If they're in the carpet, they blend in. These moths are the same color.

When the weather gets nicer, we'll board the cats, bug bomb the house, air out the house. Clean the carpets and then deal with two ticked cats.

Too bad we can't send the bills to the kitty litter company. ha ha