Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #1

Share |

How to kill a rat face to face

This year I noticed that my backyard tomatoes are eaten by rats at night. I can have close encounters with a couple of rats on any night. All I have to do is to carry a flash light, silently/quickly walk to the tomatoes area, then turn on the flashlight, then I will see 1-3 rats on my tomatoes, face to face with me. These little darn things sometimes will run quickly, but many a time, one or two of them will be frozen there. I tried to use a stick to hit them but I could never inflict any harm.

I setup 10 traps all around my tomatoes along their paths but they simply zip thru the traps, never touching them.

They always escape thru my fence and into a neighbor's backyard. I will contact the neighbor alerting him this. But more importantly, how can I kill the rats face to face in close range. I thought of a BB gun but my yard is very small and the neighbors are within tens of feet away. What else do you suggest? As long as they have my tomatoes, they don't seem to touch my traps.
htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

As a teenager buddies and I used to go rat stomping at the local dump... Heavy boots and two pair of heavy pants were the uniform of the day. It was a very old dump, and there were some very large and sometimes aggressive rats that would object to being stomped - and chase back. The buddy with the 22 rifle would help here as needed.

This activity seemed like a good idea at the time...
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Once in the dip net, roll it to contain and silently dispatch at your disgression.

Last edited by Fairview; 09-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
As a teenager buddies and I used to go rat stomping at the local dump... Heavy boots and two pair of heavy pants were the uniform of the day. It was a very old dump, and there were some very large and sometimes aggressive rats that would object to being stomped - and chase back. The buddy with the 22 rifle would help here as needed.

This activity seemed like a good idea at the time...
Well, my situation is that the rats are up in my tomato vines in the trellis, 4-5 ft from the ground. I can use a stick to poke them sometimes but can't even do any harm on them.

And I'm not sure whether I can do the stomping part. lol. that's a bit too extreme for my stomach to bear.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
...how can I kill the rats face to face in close range.
I thought of a BB gun but my yard is very small and the neighbors are within tens of feet away. What else do you suggest?
a .44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wxqFQj76U
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Malcom X reports in his autobiography that he dispatched NYC rats with a baseball bat. Pretty tough dude. At least that is how I remember his story.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
STAFF

Go to the co-op and get some rat pellets and put them under something the rats can still get to. Buy one of these, they work great for grabbing things.
Attached Thumbnails
How to kill a rat face to face-pick-up-tool.jpg  

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #8

One rat finally got served in the traps I set on top of the fence earlier tonight.

I also bought a Crosman .177 air rifle and I'll get it next week. But I heard that unless u get to their den, it's not possible to wipe them out.
Attached Thumbnails
How to kill a rat face to face-img-20130925-02030_s.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #9

A frog gig works great on stationary targets.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
JOATMON

Put peanut butter on the traps...they have to work hard to get it off..that triggers the trap...

You want to put the traps as close to a wall as possible...if you watch them, they scurry next to a wall for protection...

One neat trick....get a large tube...put it next to a wall...put the trap inside the tube....make sure the tube is big enough for the trap to operate....

Best thing...a cat.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
K&B Designer

Aww, you caught a baby one! LOL! It's nothing like the cat sized one's I've seen in horse barns.

The best control is a dog. Like a Jack Russel or rat terrier or dachshund or Corgi. Those will do more damage to a rat colony for sport than will any domesticated spoiled cat or even a hungry feral cat. My sister's Corgi's keep her commercial barn rat free with a vengeance! Of course, in an urban situation, they will bark some, as they get excited, but they can do some real damage to rattus.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Metal Roofing

Quote:
I also bought a Crosman .177 air rifle and I'll get it next week.
Damn the gun laws in CA are rediculous Did you have to show ID to buy the ammo too
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
Damn the gun laws in CA are rediculous Did you have to show ID to buy the ammo too
I bought the air rifle and amo from eBay. Well it's really not a gun that can hurt human beings. The seller states that he cannot ship to a bunch of states like Delaware etc. But California is allowed.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

I beg to differ. You can kill someone with a Crossman pump BB gun. 20 pumps give you roughly 900fps.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #15

I have a few stray cats that like to chill out under my deck - I'd be glad to ship them to you!!!
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote