Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to get rid of these ants

Hello:

I have found colonies of ants in our garage and yard and I would like to know what to do to get rid of them. We have a lot of ants in our house right now; both the small ones that we call (perhaps incorrectly) sugar ants, and the bigger carpenter ants. I will include pictures of the colonies below for your reference. Thank you for your assistance.

Garage photos (I think the smaller ones live in these colonies):

Yard Photos (at least the carpenter ants, and perhaps other kinds, live in these colonies):

Heatwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

use any liquid prouct like termindor that has active ingredent frinpnole in it spray outside of garage area in lawn give the product 1 or 2 days

redviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redviper View Post
use any liquid prouct like termindor that has active ingredent frinpnole in it spray outside of garage area in lawn give the product 1 or 2 days

Should you spray the "ant hills" themselves. It seems counterintuitive to spray simply around the garage. Likewise, don't I need to spray the mounds in the yard directly? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Spray the problem areas, and then do the anthills , then cover their holes.

A product I like to use for spiders is called Cyonara 9.7. It is residual so when they walk in those places that you sprayed, the eventually die. It has a long list of bugs it can kill, pretty sure ants are one of them. Baits may be a good idea to use as well.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

O.K., so when you people get this problem solved, here's another one involving ants: I live in S.W. GA. in what I call "Hell's Oven" at this time of year. We are having an ant problem all around. They are getting in the house, in the car, and in my truck. These appear to be the small "sugar ants" also, not our friendly Georgia Defense Department: a.k.a. Fire Ants. It's not too much fun to get in the truck at 6:30 A.M. to go to work and have ants start crawling out of every orifice within the cab of the truck. I've cleaned it, washed it, vacuumed it, sprayed it, and beat the ants to no end. I can't wait until one morning or afternoon when I get in my truck to start beating ants, roll the truck over in a ditch, and have to explain to the police "There were ants all over me". Yeah right, so why aren't there any in there now? I'm sure this will happen. So what are they after? There is no food or water supply in the vehicles. I've sprayed the kitchen and baths until I'm about worried over chemicals.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
Should you spray the "ant hills" themselves. It seems counterintuitive to spray simply around the garage. Likewise, don't I need to spray the mounds in the yard directly? Thanks.
understanding how termindor works in simple terms its like liquid cancer ant are social they touch each and pass cancer though out colony put light spray over mounds is effective also remember ants makes phermone trail to alert colonies of food etc.
redviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Thurman: Try the liquid bait traps for ants. A brand here in the northeast is Terro. It has a thin honey-like consistency that small ants really go for. It is Boric Acid based, so very safe, but also slow to work. Don't spray anymore as you will work against your baiting strategy. Let them eat in peace, then hopefully rest in peace.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
O.K., so when you people get this problem solved, here's another one involving ants: I live in S.W. GA. in what I call "Hell's Oven" at this time of year. We are having an ant problem all around. They are getting in the house, in the car, and in my truck. These appear to be the small "sugar ants" also, not our friendly Georgia Defense Department: a.k.a. Fire Ants. It's not too much fun to get in the truck at 6:30 A.M. to go to work and have ants start crawling out of every orifice within the cab of the truck. I've cleaned it, washed it, vacuumed it, sprayed it, and beat the ants to no end. I can't wait until one morning or afternoon when I get in my truck to start beating ants, roll the truck over in a ditch, and have to explain to the police "There were ants all over me". Yeah right, so why aren't there any in there now? I'm sure this will happen. So what are they after? There is no food or water supply in the vehicles. I've sprayed the kitchen and baths until I'm about worried over chemicals.
Why not just start your own thread as opposed to taking over mine?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

He did.... Truck ants

stubborn little buggers, aren't they?

DM
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 154

I've had really good results with the Terro liquid ant baits. It's a slow-acting poison syrup that the ants love. The idea is they take it back to the nest to share, and it poisons the whole nest. It's gross to watch hundreds of them in your house and not be able to touch them, but it works great, and lets you see where they're coming in so you can seal it up.

Also putting Borax along the edges where they like to travel works great for stragglers, the powder sticks to them and when they try to get it off they ingest it (boric acid is really deadly to ants). They will also track it back to the nest and get it all over others as well.

The idea is to somehow get to the queen, because if she dies, the whole nest dies.

matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote