How To Get Rid Of Skunk Smell In The House - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256
Unhappy

How to get rid of skunk smell in the house

One of our friends 2-floor property has skunk problem. There is a skunk family living in the service basement. I guess it is doable to get rid of the skunk family by putting moth balls.

The question is this: The skunk family has been there for a good half a year or so, and the whole property smells! Nobody can live there. the smell is probably in every inch of the drywall and we can't stay in the place for more than 15 mins or else we smell like skunk for the rest of the day.

So, how to get rid of the skunk smell in the whole house? thanks a lot for your help.

Advertisement

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have never had to ponder this kind of problem but here is something

http://www.ehow.com/how_6321136_rid-...-bathroom.html

Good luck

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

To effectively get rid of the skunk smell in your home, you must neutralize the odor sooner rather than later. First you have to call an exterminator to get the skunks out and then these are some of the things that you have to do. Open as many windows and doors as possible to let the smell escape and allow fresh air to come into the home and wash your clothes by using a cup of white vinegar in your washer. The quicker you get the smell off, the less likely the smell will linger in your house. Next fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and randomly spray around your house. This will help counteract the natural oil found in a skunks smell/spray. Then wash any pets that are inside the home by mixing into a bucket cup of baking soda with a full bottle of peroxide and a few drops of dish soap. Work the mixture through your pet’s fur, then rinse. Do this several times.

Now move on and spray your furniture, carpets and fabrics with a deodorizer such as febreeze. You can also purchase a spray specifically for removing skunk odor from fabrics at most home improvement stores and use bleach and water to clean any surfaces that can tolerate bleach. If the smell is still not removed from your carpets and upholstery then you must steam clean them (more work).

Lastly change the filter on your furnace. This will prevent any trapped smells from re-circulating throughout your home.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Skunk-Off Shampoo: Thornell Corporation

This stuff works-----call them and explain the situation---if anyone can kill the smell I believe they can.

Also call the insurance company---lock them into the house until they agree to pay the claim.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
ChrisFixit (01-31-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

If the odor is in the drywall, carpeting, flooring, insulation, etc you will most likely need a professional service much like the guys that deodorize after fires, dead bodies, unusual cases.

Oh Mikes's idea to call in insurance company is a good one; read your policy prior so as to educate yourself.

Let's us know how you make out.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Then wash any pets that are inside the home by mixing into a bucket cup of baking soda with a full bottle of peroxide and a few drops of dish soap
I know this an old thread, but whats the wife gonna say when her black poodle is no longer black?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
I know this an old thread, but whats the wife gonna say when her black poodle is no longer black?
Ah cuck cuck cuck........
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

If I bleached the dog.....
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

We had a HEAVY skunk smell in our house last fall. I tried the vinegar method. Not much luck. Then I found a anti-scent product in the hunting section at Walmart. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but the aroma was gone the day after I sprayed the house with it.
MsDebbieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

Maybe it was something that broke ensymes down like oxyclean?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

http://www.wildlife.com/Products/Sce...6/Default.aspx this is the product that I used.
MsDebbieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 536

Yup...old thread, but may be useful still......dont waster your money on an exterminator. Buy 10% ammonium hydroxide at Ace and pour generously around suspect areas. repeat as odor subsides, as ammonia evaporated quickly. Maybe pour it in a plastic gallon with top cut off, so evap[oration is slower. No animal will be able to withstand ammonia for more than 5 minutes.

Skumk has a powerful ooze called mercapto ethanol. Marcaptans are one of the most powerful odors in the chemical world. In Fact, so much that category of compound is used in only about 8 parts per million for addding odor for safety in propane/home natural gas......
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #13

I used an ammonia product a few times to clean pet spots. I had to do it several times in the same area.

I later read the ammonia, since urine has ammonia in it or something to that effect, in the product may have been confusing my little dog into thinking another dog had urinated in its territory. Thus my little dog would just keep marking its territory.

May be a little off subject, just thought some may find it interesting and something to think about if you have an inside dog.

I guess deal with the skunk smell first and foremost then deal with any pets.

Advertisement