Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How Concerned Should I be about Moving from Mild Roach Infestation?

We are moving out of an apartment building that has developed a small german cockroach problem in the last year. As soon as our neighbour let an infestation get out of hand and we saw a cockroach come out of the drain in our bathtub, we have had a PCO come in monthly and bait. We have also caulked all the cracks and dusted with boric acid. All our sinks have the overflow blocked and metal screens in the drains.

We see a sickly cockroach about once a month, although I did just kill a healthy looking one outside our front door which was butting it's head against the door sweep we installed.

We have sticky traps in every room and in 8 months have caught a total of one roach, about 7 months ago.

My question is, how concerned should we be about these pests following us into the lovely old house we are moving into, which is currently pest free? (Getting rid of our furniture is not really an option, since a lot of it is antiques that have been handed down through generations). What measures should we take that are not too extreme?

We live on the Northwest coast.

I thank you in advance for any feedback/advice.

BuggedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

So I talked to our current landlord today, and they said they had discovered one of the neighbours had a bad infestation and they think that is ground zero. They sprayed a few days ago so that could explain why I saw the one scurrying around our door. They offered to spray our place before we moved, but I'm wondering if that is overkill. It would be a lot of work and we have a cat. I'm considering if putting combat bait traps in the moving boxes might be enough?

I could really use some input if anyone has any---I'm just not sure how to proceed.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggedOut View Post

We see a sickly cockroach about once a month, although I did just kill a healthy looking one outside our front door which was butting it's head against the door sweep we installed.
It's when they send a scout to ring the doorbell so the others can zip in when you answer the door you REALLY need to start worrying...

I wouldn't be TOO concerned if you do not now have a full blown infestation. There's always the possibility they can follow you, of course, but gel baits can take care of them pretty quickly. I wish you well in your move.

DM
Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #4

Thanks, Danger Mouse, that makes me feel a lot better. We have decided to just pack bait traps in every box and spread them around our new place until they expire, and not get sprayed in this apartment. We are moving to a single family detached dwelling from a multiple unit apartment building, so we figure if anything follows us at least we will probably be able to get it under control rather than constantly having to keep the tide of pests at bay, which is the situation we have in this building (what kind of person doesn't report roaches until it's a full blown infestation? And what ELSE are they not reporting?)

I know no one can tell us for sure, but having a bit of feedback on this support forum eases the mind somewhat.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like a good plan, glad I could help.

DM

Tags
german cockroaches, moving