Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #1

Share |

How can you tell is a squirrel net is new or old?

Background: 1957 Ranch house, had rats when I bought it in June. Hired exterminator, got rid of them. October, replaced roof, shortly after that, removed ALL attic insulation and clean up.

So now I have no attic insulation because I need to do a lot of recessed lights and some security system stuffs. A lot easier now. It's not really cold here in the Bay Area.

Last weekend, I went up there and found out that at a very far corner of the house there is a big hay ball. 16"x16"x16". Looks like a squirrel net. WTF? I had thought that the insulation guys didn't do a good job at cleaning out everything. So I just removed it. Just now I suddenly realized that there was NO insulation beneath the hay ball, which means that probably the insulation guys have already removed the insulation back in October and this nest might be a new one!!!

I freaked out and posted it here.

The exterminator had inspected every corner of the house and have sealed all entry points. There is No trees touching my house (I cut 3 big trees when I moved in.) But there is a grapefruit tree from the neighbor that had a branch sticking to about 4' from my roof. I saw squirrels jump between the tree and my roof.

I didn't hear anything from the attic yet. With all the insulation gone, if there is any activity up there it should be pretty obvious. But could it be that there is really squirrels here and that they are just really quiet?

Can anyone tell me how to tell if the squirrel net is new or old? I am freaked out at other animals living in my house besides my family.

htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Just remove the nest and see if it comes back.
If it is a new nest then there has to be a hole there some place. Most often they come in through a rotted or loose fashia or a soffit. Any tiny hole and there in.
Squarrels will eat right through all most anything to get into a house. Once inside they will chew on the wiring,

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just remove the nest and see if it comes back.
If it is a new nest then there has to be a hole there some place. Most often they come in through a rotted or loose fashia or a soffit. Any tiny hole and there in.
Squarrels will eat right through all most anything to get into a house. Once inside they will chew on the wiring,
I found one of the gable vents had a big hole in the screen. Just fixed it, putting sturdy anodized aluminum screen on. Couldn't find any other entry points larger than 1/4".(I still need to get to those 1/4" cracks here and there, which I can clearly see from inside a clean attic without any insulation.)

The one thing though, my exterminator should have caught this but he didn't. To think more about it, I regretted shelling out that thousand dollars hiring my exterminator. Should have done all those work myself. He doesn't have any magic. Just plugging holes and setting traps. Now he missed a big hole in one of the gable vents. I will call him and let him know that he did an aweful job.
htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote