Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hole in clapboard allowing birds to nest

We just moved into a new home (pre 1900 new england colonial) and noticed a hole about 10-14 ft above ground level. The hole is located outside our second floor bathroom which is over the kitchen. The hole appears to be at or near the floor level of the bathroom.

We have noticed a few times in the past two weeks what sounds like birds in the wall. Obviously the birds have found it and are now nesting (small little birds... Finches?). The hole is only about 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 inches wide. I climbed up to look inside and could see the backside of drywall and some dry grass/ twigs. Didnt see any indication that there were birds or babies in there at the time. But this morning i noticed two birds fly over to the hole and then fly off..

See attached pics of the exterior and interior of the hole

1. How do you remove / scare off the birds? Is it best to let them stay there till any eggs hatch and fly off? Or will they never leave? How do you handle this?

2. Anyone have any idea why the hole is there? Does it serve a function? It looks like it was cut into the wall on purpose. Could it be a strange way to exhaust the plumbing?

3. Should I seal it with foam or cover with screen? if I cover it do I need to clean it out first? I don't even know how you could get into the cavity....

I called a pest control service and they said they would try to net them and then kill them. I'm not a huge fan of that approach.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Hole in clapboard allowing birds to nest-image-944374927.jpg   Hole in clapboard allowing birds to nest-image-3603190885.jpg  

GarfE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Hole in clapboard allowing birds to nest

Who knows why it's there, and that does not really matter at this point.
Looks like the board above the hole is split so someone has to remove two boards using a flat bar, crows foot bar and a sawsall with a long blade to nip off the hidden nail under the clapboard at the top.
Once it's open clean it out, add some insulation, may need to install a patch of OSB, some Tyvek or even a piece of Tar paper then install two new pieces of siding.
Leave it like it is and waters can get in there and rot out the sheetrock, and wood behind the wall.
A couple of taps on the wall and the birds are going to fly out of there, there's no need to net them or kill them.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote