Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262
Exclamation

HELP: Squirrel in my attic!!!

I have a squirrel in my attic that has setup shop for the winter and I need to get her out ASAP. I see the hole where she got in and closing it up is no problem but I need her out first. I would have no problem with poisons except for the fact that I don't want some rodent dying inside my house and stinking the place up. If I could guarantee that she would go outside that would be fine otherwise I need a way to trap it and take it outside. First off how do you bait these traps and where can I buy them.

tripower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ah, the little devils. Some idiot president of the UofI had a box of the little suckers shipped from England to Champaign Urbana a hundred years ago to beautify the campus. With no real major predators and so many mild winters in a row they are everywhere. Cute but a nuisance.

You may have more than one or even if you do she may be knocked up and you will soon have the pitter patter of little paws! I paid a trapper to get rid of all of them them one year. He placed Have a Heart traps outside and baited them with a proprietary mix of peanut butter, seeds and who knows what else. Just kept after them until they were gone and then we sealed up all the holes. He hauled them out to the country and let them loose.

A new gang chewed new holes and moved in a few months later.

It came to be that the house sold and a condition of closing was that the squirrels be out of the attic. I did not have time to have them trapped again. I called this strange little exterminator who came out with a tank sprayer filled with essence of fox or something. I couldn't smell it and the cats didn't freak out.

Within seconds of spraying that stuff the squirrels literally fought each other to get out the holes they had chewed and practically lept out of the gutters they used to get around. It was almost shocking to watch but they were clearly scared off by whatever it was. I sealed all the holes again and the house closed. They probably became the neighbor's problem though.

Anyhow, I would call a few exterminators and see if you can find one with that stuff. I really have never heard of anything else working so well. I have no idea how longlasting it was or whether they stopped being fooled by it though.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

critter-repellant.com
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

The best way is to mount the trap right onto the entrance hole.
That can be tough, but is the only way to know that you've gotten everyone out.
Otherwise just set the traps in your attic with peanut butter and a few walnuts and you'll get him.
Tip - keep the cardboard box that the trap comes in.
When you trap him, slide the trap back into the box. It will reduce stress for both of you during transport.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Lure her out with peanuts, then block the hole right there and then. Use metal or other materials hard to chew. Duct tape or foiil wont do it. If her scent is in there she'll want to go back.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This is easy. Simply toss four or five mothballs in the hole. A day later, you can close it up.
I used a 1/2" piece of PVC tubing to shoot some way back in my house - like a blow-gun. (Just don't inhale before you blow!)

Last edited by Willie T; 02-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,112

Had a squirrel in my attic, but a few trips to the psychiatrist took care of it.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote