Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Furniture beetle in the attic

I have an active furniture beetle infection in the attic. I know that there are some under the ceiling insulation because when I remove fixtures like light or smoke detector, I can find large number of them. Will these pests cause serious structural damage to the wood members? How to control them? I read that there's something that you can spray. But it will be impossible to spray those joists under the insulation. Fumigation seems expensive and also it look like reinfection is more than likely -- almost certainty.

Any better way of controlling this pest?

deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Is is unusual to find adult wood-infesting beetles in any quantity. Are you finding actual beetles or are you finding the small pin-holes and frass from those holes? If you are finding beetles, take some to a neutral person and have them identified. Agricultural agents, extension offices (here it would be the Penn State extension office) are good places. Getting a positive ID is always a good first step; keep us posted.

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the reply.

What I found were beetles in large quantity. I will take some for identification really soon, and may be ask local pest control service about what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAbugman View Post
Is is unusual to find adult wood-infesting beetles in any quantity. Are you finding actual beetles or are you finding the small pin-holes and frass from those holes? If you are finding beetles, take some to a neutral person and have them identified. Agricultural agents, extension offices (here it would be the Penn State extension office) are good places. Getting a positive ID is always a good first step; keep us posted.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote