Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fumigating for Wood Boring Beetles

I have seen written that most fumigation prices are 1.00 to 1.50 per square foot. My wife and I are in escrow on a 1200 sq ft home with a 600 sqft detached garage. We have been quoted $6000 to tent and fumigate both structures. We have wood boring beetles so we have been told it needs to remain tented for 3 days to kill all of them off, but I don't think that would affect the price???

The only thing different about our home is that it is on a slope so one side of the house and garage are on posts about 30 feet up. Do you think this is why the price is so high?

Unfortunately we cannot get free bids as under the law, any house in purchase contract has to have a full blown $250 inspection. I have been told this by several companies.

We wanted to have it fumigated directly after close prior to move in...

Does this price sound out of line???

ebnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Gosh, Pricing questions are almost impossible on this site---We are from all continents and a dozen different countries----

You might get lucky---Where are you from?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,070

I'm not following, you have the $250.00 for an inspection, I get that, but what's to stop you from then getting some quotes on doing the treatment?
Should be two different things.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Well, apparently any house under contract has to have a full inspection to obtain a quote...

I have also found out now why the pricing was so high. We are in California and the only way to fumigate for wood boring beetles is to use 10x Vikane and leave the structure tented for 3 days. Other more viable chemicals for beetles have been outlawed here so you end up paying almost 3X the price to treat beetles.

I did find some companies who treat beetles with orange oil as it seems to be more effective. They are only charging me $2500 to treat the home and detached garage with a 5 year warranty. The fumigators would only guarantee for 1 year...

Thanks
ebnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,070

I live in an area loaded with Termites and Powder Post Beetles.
Never once have I seen a whole house get tented. (does not make it right, just never done by any of the 5 or so company's I've dealt with.)
In this area one of the most common product used is Bora Care.