Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Flea Infestation?

My husband and i took in a stray cat and she brought in fleas a couple of month later... We've bombed the house and i've tried borax and salt. I vacuum every day and only pick up maybe 5-6 fleas each time. Also when i see them i only see maybe 3-4 max in a day. But what really gets me is that my 17 month old sons legs have bites all over them. Which leads me to believe that there are more than i'm seeing.

A little input would be much appreciated and also the quickest way to get rid of them..
Thanks Much!

adhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Flea Infestation?

http://www.petparents.com/products.a...012:ctfle:2568

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Flea Infestation?

Search for a recent thread on this topic. Treating the cat for fleas will not only kill those on him/her but to some extent on furniture and in carpeting. You seem diligent about vacuuming but you may have to extraction clean once to control this. Flea collars work to a point but the vet type treatments a couple times a year really make everybody more comfortable.

Can the cat be adapted to be an indoor only/mostly feline? Obviously this will cut down on new infestations.

Does your youngun play in the grass outside? He may be as much a carrier of fleas as the cat! If the situation does not improve when you treat the cat, you may have to have a pest control company spray the lawn grasses and so forth.

I had a girlfriend fleas loved for some reason and we knew it was time to treat all the beasts when they started nibbling at her. As mentioned, with the vet flea treatments it was never again a major problem.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Flea Infestation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Search for a recent thread on this topic. Treating the cat for fleas will not only kill those on him/her but to some extent on furniture and in carpeting. You seem diligent about vacuuming but you may have to extraction clean once to control this. Flea collars work to a point but the vet type treatments a couple times a year really make everybody more comfortable.

Can the cat be adapted to be an indoor only/mostly feline? Obviously this will cut down on new infestations.

Does your youngun play in the grass outside? He may be as much a carrier of fleas as the cat! If the situation does not improve when you treat the cat, you may have to have a pest control company spray the lawn grasses and so forth.

I had a girlfriend fleas loved for some reason and we knew it was time to treat all the beasts when they started nibbling at her. As mentioned, with the vet flea treatments it was never again a major problem.

I think they must like females, we have always had cats and or dogs, so always had fleas and when they got bad,would go after the wife's legs. The flea stuff put a stop to that.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Don't WANNA do it myself

Flea Infestation?

diatomaceous earth was our savior this summer.

Do you have a flea collar in your vacuum? Put the DE under beds, couches and furniture. It kills them manually, and the flea stuff (from the vet) will kill them chemically.

I can't spray anything in my home due to migranes, so even though it takes longer, it's a safer method for us.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is online now   Reply With Quote