Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Experiences with Termidor vs Sentricon for termite control?

Hello all,

Last year, before buying my house, some termites made a meal out of part of the wooden deck. The seller of the house had spot treatments done, but it seems to have worked (for now).

Before I have it repaired/rebuilt, I want to have an inspection done to determine if the termites are truly gone. I was doing research on local pest control companies and have seen a lot of conflicting information about Termidor (chemical barrier around full perimeter) vs. Sentricon (bait stations with some attractant that the termites supposedly like more than wood).

It seems like a chemical barrier like Termidor would be most effective, though also most disruptive. I am considering doing the Sentricon because it also serves as a monitoring tool, where they check periodically if there's been any activity.

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these products they could share? Actual experience, not just opinions based on the descriptions of each product, since I already have that.

Thanks!

thinksincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 192

I was a licenced exterminator in VA for a few years and I'll share what I found out.
Go with the Termidor and a full treatment.
Spot treatments do nothing, there just going to find a new way in.
Those bait stations are all but usless, There set out away from the drip line of the house out in the yard every 10 ft. or so, not under the house of even near the foundation. Termites are blind, what's the chances there even going to find the station, and if they do so what. There's most likly many colonys of termites living out in your yard doing no harm, just eatting anything dead they can find.
The Termidor will be picked up by the workers and be taken back to the nest and will kill the queen. Once she's gone the nest dies out.
Bait staions cost them about $25.00 a case and can be installed in under a min with nothing more then what looks like a bulb planter. There going to change you about $100.00 each if you figure out the total cost and devide it by the number of stations. (based on what I have seen them charge)
Then there going to chage you every year to do nothing more then pull a stick out of the staion and look at it to see if there's been something eating it.

With a Termidor treatment there going to drill a hole in every block void, trench the outside and inside around the foundation and flood it with chemical. If there's piers there going to drill the blocks and trench around them and shoot chemical.
Then there going to rod around the footing.
Now your protected everywhere, where it counts.
It's very common to have them find a tiny spot of missing morter and go right up through the foundation and never be seen.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
pest control operator

Good advice Joe. We use Termidor and we make our own wooden stakes and leave with the homeowner for them to use as monitors.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

Thanks Pa.
I guess my point was we already know there's termites in the yard, that's a fact. All a bait staion is going to do is confurm the fact.
I'd be more concerened with the ones trying to get in the foundation.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

I've had bait stations. They were expensive (5k)

When they did nothing and I had to call a real termite company they laughed at me and said "why would a termite choose this bait (which is just a piece of wood) over all the wood framing in your house?"
Italgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...73&R=100011173

Any of you out there that have the bait stations, think about what you had to pay to get them, devide that amount by the number of stations to get a price for each one. Now look at what you could have paid and done it your self.
There a rip off.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Any of you out there that have the bait stations, think about what you had to pay to get them, devide that amount by the number of stations to get a price for each one. Now look at what you could have paid and done it your self.
There a rip off.
Well, the cheap store-bought bait stations aren't the same as Sentricon. They are very cheap (as you pointed out) and use sulfluramid. In fact, they now have to advise on the packaging, "Not recommended as sole protection against termites. For active infestations, a remedial treatment and a professional inspection are recommended."

The newer Sentricon installations now use a different "always active" termiticide instead of just baiting with wood, and from what I've read it's more effective than before.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italgrl View Post
I've had bait stations. They were expensive (5k)

When they did nothing and I had to call a real termite company they laughed at me and said "why would a termite choose this bait (which is just a piece of wood) over all the wood framing in your house?"
Er, I don't think the termite mind works like that. They don't know the difference between a piece of wood in a bait and the wood framing in your house, it's just wood. They are certainly more likely to start eating at your house, but it's not a "preference" thing.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #9

Anyway, I got an Angie's List coupon in my email for a whole-house Termidor treatment plus 5 year warranty for $900, I am probably going to do that!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksincode View Post
Er, I don't think the termite mind works like that. They don't know the difference between a piece of wood in a bait and the wood framing in your house, it's just wood. They are certainly more likely to start eating at your house, but it's not a "preference" thing.

That's exactly right - termites do NOT know the difference between your house and the wood in the bait (which does NOT kill them FYI) - so, WHY would a blind termite leave the wood inside your cozy, protected from the elements walls to go find a random piece of wood in the ground three feet away from your house? Answer, he would not. Baiting is a complete and utter waste of money. In fact, I've heard that some consumer protection organization is trying to get them declared scams.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italgrl View Post
That's exactly right - termites do NOT know the difference between your house and the wood in the bait (which does NOT kill them FYI) - so, WHY would a blind termite leave the wood inside your cozy, protected from the elements walls to go find a random piece of wood in the ground three feet away from your house? Answer, he would not. Baiting is a complete and utter waste of money. In fact, I've heard that some consumer protection organization is trying to get them declared scams.
Well, I'm no pest control expert, but I'm pretty sure that statement is inaccurate.

The termites go back and forth from your house to the nest, so there is certainly the possibility that they will run into a bait station and begin leaving pheromone trails to this new tasty wood they found.

Termites are always protected from the elements - they go underground, and build the mud tubes.

And actually, Sentricon now uses an "always active" bait system so yes, the wood in the bait does kill them.

Baiting is not "a complete and utter waste of money"; many people have had great successes with Sentricon, as I've found in my research.

I am definitely leaning towards the Termidor treatment, but let's be fair in the discussion.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #12

If you didn't want advice from people who have actually used the product, why did you ask? Seems like many of the replies you got were a no go on bait systems.

I live in Florida, otherwise known as "if your house doesn't have termites yet, it's only a matter of time." When bait systems came out, the entire state rejoiced because the other methods are much more expensive, intrusive and inconvenient. NO ONE I know that used the baits got rid of their problem. They all had to then use another kind of service later on.

Your house has hundreds if not thousands of pieces of wood in it. Instead, the termite is going to find this randomly placed, 6 inch piece of wood inside a plastic housing in your yard. Sure. Believe whatever you want. You realize that there isn't some juicy termite treat in there that will draw them to it, right? It's JUST a piece of wood.

Being that many houses are only 20 feet apart in Florida, whose termites do the baits attract? Yours or your neighbors?

Go ahead, spend your money, the economy needs stimulating.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #13

Italgrl,

I'm not looking for a fight! I have already said that I'm leaning towards doing a Termidor treatment (which is a chemical barrier, not a bait station). I just wanted to have a fair discussion about the two.

What bait system did you use? Are you comparing to a store-bought bait station? Because in that case I agree, they are useless. The FTC forced them to put a notice on the label for those stating that they aren't recommended as a standalone termite treatment.

Sentricon USED to use an inert wood monitoring bait, which was replaced with poison when activity was found. But again, as I said before, now they have an "Always Active" system that uses their Recruit HD bait, which is a poison. It's NOT just "a piece of wood". And the termites like it. It sort of is a "juicy termite treat".

From http://www.drjacks.net/TermiteFreeZo...7/Default.aspx:

"Test results show that termites actually prefer feeding on it over the wood monitoring devices. Termites feeding on homes have actually left the structure when they find Recruit HD outside the home."

I'm not saying that they will work better than a Termidor or similar treatment, but I think you're letting a bad experience in the past cloud your judgement here.

Unless all the stories I've read are lies, Sentricon has been very effective in many cases. It sounds like Termidor is still the better choice, being more effective and requiring less call-backs, but again, let's get the facts straight...

Last edited by thinksincode; 09-17-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Mistyped the URL.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #14

If you read my earlier post, you know what I paid (5k) - no way that was a store bought thing. I used the one you asked about which is why I answered.

Out of the 30 bait stations and over the course of two years, termites were only ever found in ONE bait station. 12 months after install and monthly service, I found termites in my bedroom baseboard and the leg of my headboard. There was a bait station directly outside the area that was damaged.

When I went to sell the house termites were found in my living room, entry foyer and in my garage. All of these areas were approximately 3 feet from a bait station except the foyer, but no termites in the baits.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #15

You're right, I forgot about the $5k figure. That sucks to drop that much money and not have it even work. My only point I was trying to make was that they have changed the Sentricon system since then and have the newer always active baits, which the termites do seem to prefer more than wood.
Of course, the problem is them actually finding it in the first place... :/

Tags
termites