Email Notification Mouse Trap - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Email notification mouse trap

Thought you guys might enjoy this one.

I wired this baby up and it will be connecting to my Arduino based environmental control system that I've been working on. Basically, when the two mouse traps trip, I will get an email notification. It will have an Ethernet port so I can unhook it more easily.

This is going in my attic, which is a pita to go to because it makes a huge mess and I have to empty out the closet to get to it, so it will be going there as a precautionary measure as I did have mice last winter. Hoping fixing the flashing and stuff on my roof fixed whatever hole they came in by, though.

Left some room for more traps if it turns out I still have an issue, so I'll add more. I hate to kill cute little rodents, but when they're in my house, the line has been crossed.

As of now it works if I check with an ohm meter, so I might put it up anyway till I get around to running the wire from the server rack.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

I think someone has a little to much time on there hands. LOL

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You know we always enjoy your ideas Red.

DM
Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post

I wired this baby up and it will be connecting to my Arduino based environmental control system that I've been working on. Basically, when the two mouse traps trip, I will get an email notification. It will have an Ethernet port so I can unhook it more easily.

This is going in my attic, which is a pita to go to because it makes a huge mess and I have to empty out the closet to get to it, so it will be going there as a precautionary measure as I did have mice last winter. Hoping fixing the flashing and stuff on my roof fixed whatever hole they came in by, though.

Left some room for more traps if it turns out I still have an issue, so I'll add more. I hate to kill cute little rodents, but when they're in my house, the line has been crossed.

As of now it works if I check with an ohm meter, so I might put it up anyway till I get around to running the wire from the server rack.

like this guy???
Attached Thumbnails
Email notification mouse trap-shaved-mouse1.jpg  
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 680

Looks like that one was left in the microwave a little to long.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post

Awesome!
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Had one nuissance trip... suspicious. My cat has also been staring at various parts of the ceiling and outside wall.... so I think I may indeed have some again. I have no idea how in the world they're getting in. I got the flashing fixed on both sides where the roof intersects (split level house) got all my vents tarred, one vent removed (was not needed). No trap trip since the last time though. I think I will have to caulk where the soffits meet the brick. Maybe they can fit between that then manage to get on top and from there it's easy to get in the attic.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #8

Don't overlook the possibilty of them having been born in your house. I once had one that tripped the trap several times before I got him. Each time he ate the entire swipe of peanut butter and then got away just in time

Advertisement

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote