Drywood Termites - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Drywood Termites

I have drywood termites in a three unit apartment building.

Termites is fairly common in Florida but when you have a tenant occupied building it becomes impossible to schedule a tenting. There is simply no mutually convenient time.

I have heard of non-tenting treatment, but I assume this is for when you have a small localized infestation?

In my case, let's say I have apartment A, B and C.

Apartment A is a two bedroom unit, and have two closets back to back. The shelves in those closets have been infested. Bottom of the shelves have "hollowed" sections I can press in with my finger and termite dust spills out. The infestation is active because it will drop these coffee ground piles every few days from the bottom of these shelves. This is happening in both closets and they being back to back seems to suggest the actual infestation may have started from the common wall?

Then there is apartment B in the kitchen along the bottom of the baseboard I see some of these droppings too, and this wall is no where NEAR those closets.

I am thinking it is unlikely to have two local infestations, this must be a wide spread issue and those are the only two spots where I can see them.

There is no attic access as this is a flat roof.

Is tenting the only way?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 378

Drywood Termites

Definitely not my area of expertise, miamicuse... but I once had an exterminator do an office structure using microwave equipment, which only required the occupants to leave during the actual treatment process. We tested for 3 years and never saw termites return. Might be worth looking at.

Advertisement

Doc Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

Drywood Termites

Microwave? Hmmm I need to check into that.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 378

Drywood Termites

they move a transmitter along the inside of the wall and a reflector on the outside, slowly covering all the walls. Never made a lot of sense to me, 'cause it seemed like they'd miss a lot that way, in the subfloor and roofing... but it worked. A major infestation might be more problematic. But they guaranteed to keep coming back as many times as needed, and never had to, so it's worth looking into.
Doc Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 154

Drywood Termites

I'm not sure about your landlord tenant laws where you are, but trying to find a "good" time for everyone is just not possible.

schedule it to give everyone enough legal notice. boot everyone out, and get it done right.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

Drywood Termites

Want to be nice, offer to pay for a hotel stay for a day.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

Drywood Termites

has nothing to do with being nice. There are rules and regulations, tenant rights and lease agreements to adhere to.
It's not one day. It most likely will be three days. Two days to tent and one day to allow the gas to completely disappear until they give the all clear signal with their bio-meter.
Tenants will not have use of the property for 3 days, so credit has to be given for loss of use of the facility they pay rents for. However number of days with a prorated daily rent multiplier.
Also need to pay for their lodging, on a per diem per day basis. Doesn't matter if they stay with their sister or uncle or at a hotel, there should be compensation.
If they have dogs or cats that need to be kerneled, that too.
They can't cook, so food, plus, since all food and medicine need to be out of the property while it's being fumigated, whatever food in the apartments, pantry, refrigerator, cosmetics that cannot be consumed prior, or removed during, had to be wasted, so grocery cards for that part of the reimbursement.
That's all on top of the tenting cost, and loss of all shurbs along the outside of the house that most likely will die off.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

Drywood Termites

Wow. We are in Florida also so I feel your pain.
No easy solution that I can see. In today's "sue anybody" climate how are your going to get past this?

Advertisement

ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote