Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drain Flies....HELP

I am seeing a lot of posts about this and I need the same help. I have drain flies in my apartment an it is driving me nuts. I have become obsessed with finding where they are coming from. They stress me out! I will come home to about 26 of them.

So far, I have taped off everything, sink, toilet tank, tub, both over flows, back of toilet etc. My manager has came in for about 3 weeks and poured gel down my drains, had a plumber come in and power washed my drains and snaked them I still have them. The crazy thing is they are not sticking to the tap. I read that you can not fully tape it or they will not get the draft of air that brings them in, so then I taped "lightly" still nothing. They appear out of no where, I have sat in my bathroom waiting for the next one to appear....it is crazy. I have no windows, no cracks in my floors etc. I even went as far as taping off my fan, still nothing.

I am at the point where I want to move out, but I am not sure what my rights are in this apartment, I just moved in. The person before me had the same problem and they did not disclose the fly problem to me. My place is infested and it pisses me off that I can not come home and relax. I spend the first 30 minutes killing them and then cleaning my walls, sometimes I just want to cry. It really upsets me, the owners said I could break my lease, but I am a single mom it is not that easy. I pay good money for my place. Has anyone ever taken legal action for this or called the city to see if they are violating any bldg. codes? Supposable I am the only person that has them.

Thanks for listening and your help.

Mermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Drain Flies....HELP

Mixture of bleach and water would kill them and eliminate their breeding place. Hope that helps.

chrisdo987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,390

Drain Flies....HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermer View Post
I am seeing a lot of posts about this and I need the same help. I have drain flies in my apartment an it is driving me nuts. I have become obsessed with finding where they are coming from. They stress me out! I will come home to about 26 of them.

So far, I have taped off everything, sink, toilet tank, tub, both over flows, back of toilet etc. My manager has came in for about 3 weeks and poured gel down my drains, had a plumber come in and power washed my drains and snaked them I still have them. The crazy thing is they are not sticking to the tap. I read that you can not fully tape it or they will not get the draft of air that brings them in, so then I taped "lightly" still nothing. They appear out of no where, I have sat in my bathroom waiting for the next one to appear....it is crazy. I have no windows, no cracks in my floors etc. I even went as far as taping off my fan, still nothing.

I am at the point where I want to move out, but I am not sure what my rights are in this apartment, I just moved in. The person before me had the same problem and they did not disclose the fly problem to me. My place is infested and it pisses me off that I can not come home and relax. I spend the first 30 minutes killing them and then cleaning my walls, sometimes I just want to cry. It really upsets me, the owners said I could break my lease, but I am a single mom it is not that easy. I pay good money for my place. Has anyone ever taken legal action for this or called the city to see if they are violating any bldg. codes? Supposable I am the only person that has them.

Thanks for listening and your help.
they are responable to provide a safe and clean place to live in....bug infestation is not a clean place at all ...explain to landlord your concerns give reasonable time to correct.. if they don't inform them of your reason for leaving .. tell them see ya in court....make sure you document the issues.....just a thougth if you are the only one who has them it should be easy to track it down.....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Drain Flies....HELP

One suggestion, get some painter's drop-cloth plastic sheeting (the really thin kind) and tape off the doorways. At least then you'd be able to narrow down which room has the infestation.

Not very convenient, but probably the only way to at least get an idea where to start in solving this very nasty problem.

It's entirely possible there's some other sort of source for them. Perhaps there are other leaks or plumbing problems that aren't immediately visible.

I'd check with your state/local gov't to see what your options are on getting out of the lease.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Drain Flies....HELP

You might have a bad glue joint in your vent stack or maybe a defective aav
romex1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,944

Drain Flies....HELP

Often they are breeding in the overflow port on a sink or tub----pouring a bleach solution directly down the overflow port will clean out the crud and the bugs--

Tags
general discussion, plumbing