Do I Have A Roach Problem? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I have a roach problem?

I've lived in an older apartment building for 5 years. I've only seen a roach twice - the first was a large one this summer. The second was a few weeks ago and was much smaller. I caught them in the middle of the night trapped in my kitchen sink. I keep my kitchen tidy with no food out and no dishes left overnight, so they were probably after some water.

Anyway, I bought some Dupont advion roach gel because I read it was really effective. I put small dabs about every foot at various spots throughout the kitchen. Mainly around the kitchen cabinet area (both underneath, above). I was basically following the recommendations on how to apply it from a pest company so I'm pretty sure I laid it down pretty good. Anyway, it's been about a week and no signs of dead roaches and the dabs of gel look untouched.

Is it possible that I don't have a roach problem at all and the two roaches that I saw just somehow wandered in? When I first moved in, I think I remember seeing roach droppings at the corner of my kitchen cabinet. That was years ago and haven't seen them since.

Advertisement

acdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Usually when you see one or two there are more hiding but I have lived in buildings where neighbors---not so diligent about not leaving food out---had major problems and I would only see one now and then. I worked in a space that was heavily infested and realized I could just have brought one home in a briefcase or pants cuff too. I stayed on top of baiting and my building management was usually more than willing to treat my place. The building I live in now is very aggressive about bugs of any kind.

If you haven't in awhile, you might want to pull your frig and clean behind and under it. Check your cabinets for spilled food. Then keep an eye out. No reason to assume you are infested. If in doubt, call the exterminator though. I learned along time ago not to waste a lot of money on consumer pest control. Although some of the baits, gels and good old fashioned boron/borate roach powder still works well.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply. Yes I cleaned behind and underneath the fridge a couple of months ago. Same with the oven. Anyway, I don't live in NYC but I've heard that random encounters with roaches are inevitable no matter how clean and tidy you keep your place. It's just a fact with living in a large dense ciy with older buildings. I live in a similar type situation, so I guess it comes with the territory. In the summer time when I walk outside at night I could see roaches crawling in the sidewalks everywhere and I live in a relatively clean part of the city with only a few restaurants. I could tell my landlord about it I suppose but I personally don't think seeing one or two roaches in a 5 year period (with no signs of droppings) is enough to call out a pest control company.

If you aren't familiar with Dupont advion it's a professional grade product that can't be bought in stores. Anyway, I thought that if I had roaches that they would be hiding somewhere between the walls and cabinets. I don't know how good their sense of smell is but I was thinking the bait would lure them from out of their hiding place.
acdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most buildings have an exterminator on retainer and on call so I would not be shy about asking. I doubt they would mind. Places I have lived used to just come in and do their thing, like or not but that has changed with people claiming the sprays ate their contact lenses and so forth.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote