Do Exterior Bait Stations Attract New Visitors - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do exterior bait stations attract new visitors

Hi, this is my first post. I will try to be short. Two weeks ago I heard mice in the attic and in a closet on the first floor. I put out bait and caught two in traps. I put out new bait and it has not been touched nor have I caught any in the traps in the last week. I have young children and in a fit of panic I called an exterminator. The company sent a rep. who signed me up and two days later a Tech. came and put out six large bait stations. My question is, am I attracting more mice or worse, rats. Also if I kill all of the chipmunks and squirrels will that give the local mice a leg up?The tech. said the mice will follow the sent trail from those before them and their is nothing you can do to mask the sent. I have tried to fill all cracks and make it harder to enter the house but I know if they want in they will find a way.
The bait stations are out there two days now and I am eating myself up with indecision. Should I move them away from the house, get rid of them or man up and trust in the professionals? I am open to any sugestions.

Advertisement

mike i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Exterior bait stations will at least attract rodents that are in the area surrounding the house. Do they attract rodents from further away? Good question without a good answer. Will you attract squirrels? Maybe, depends on the squirrels-some will, some won't. Seems like when you want them to eat it, they won't, something like Murphy's Law, I guess.

It doesn't sound as if you had/have a serious mouse problem, at least compared to what others call serious. This is not to minimize your situation or concern, I'm just relating it to what else I see/hear. It is good of you to take a small problem seriously-easier to solve and why wait, since you know you will have a bigger problem later.

Do you have sheds, firewood piles, or other harborages close to the house? If so, those are areas that I like to bait to solve and prevent.

The rodent baits that are available in stores are the same active ingredient that our industry uses, with a few exceptions that aren't germane to mice anyway. AFter your agreement with the company is over, you can easily bait these areas yourself. Do you now own the bait stations? If so, good, as they are expensive; you can use them later on.

Whether or not the squirrels eat the bait, live or die, has no bearing on mice/rats. I doubt that you have rats-when people have rats, they usually know it prior to calling us.

Maintain traps inside, snap traps or tin cats, etc. as well as bait placed in inaccessible areas. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #3

Thank you PAbugman for your reply and the words of encoragment. I do have a wood pile and a small wood shop that needs a clean out. Should I wait for the bait stations to do their thing before I disturb these areas. What do you think about the idea that the bait stations will kill off the chipmunks and squirrals and remove the mices competition, creating a mice explosion? Do the chipmunks reproduce as fast? Thanks again.

P.S. Is there anything I could use to mask the sent of the mice that came in? The first floor exterior walls are stone and I was thinking about using an arasol sprayer to aply a lite band of diesel a few feet from the ground.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

No relationship at all between the squirrels and mice as I wrote before.

Bait the shed and wood piles now, before you disturb those areas. Place bait blocks in those areas-don't have to be in bait stations.

Time will eventually erode the pheromone/musk scent from the rodents. I don't like the idea of spraying a flammable liquid around the perimeter of your house. Diesel evaporates very slowly.

The best solution is to keep fresh rodenticide available to the rodents, both present and future rodents.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

Once again thanks for the expert advice. I guess I'll wait another week before I start any clean out in the shed and wood pile. Have a good week.