Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

DIY Pest Control

I thought I would start a post suggesting that DIYers think really carefully about the money they spend on bottles of pesticides with pretty labels of bugs on the sides.

The EPA at federal level, and most states have had to reign in what consumers can buy for their own attempts at pest control. Don't waste your money on consumer pest control products. Call a pro that is licensed and knows what to use for your situation. It will be much cheaper for you in the long run.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

DIY Pest Control

Or read a little bit. It often ain't rocket science, just knowledge.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

DIY Pest Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Or read a little bit. It often ain't rocket science, just knowledge.
And permits that do not come with pretty bottles.

Responsible pest control is not DIY.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

DIY Pest Control

I agree in principle that you shouldn't go into doing your own pest control without a good amount of knowledge at your disposal, but for those who are able to grasp a concept and are wise enough to respect the fact that pesticides can be dangerous if improperly handled, I don't think there's much that a pro can do that they can't accomplish themselves. In fact, I've actually had more luck with doing my own work versus the numerous screw ups that "professional" pest control guys have subjected my house to in the past. And what's more, you can actually find the same products that pros use online at sites like this one - Do My Own Pest Control.

So in summation, sure you should be extra careful and really educate yourself first, but pest control professionals aren't inherently better for every single situation.
SamGerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

DIY Pest Control

Agreed, you should not just run to Pest Killer Dot Com, buy a ton of juice and frantically spray it everywhere. (That was a little bit of hype; that's me....) However, common sense and some education from a reputable source can go a long way. I'm just talking about killing some ants, for ex, around your house and/or which are invading from outside. If you have serious problems, like a termite infestation or freaking ants everywhere (a friend did, in his log house; not pretty) then call someone who knows his/her stink. I was fortunate by having a pro bug killer accompany me to Ho De Po and point out which juice was the right stuff, and how to apply. That is the kind of education that is often necessary, not what some kid at the kootie killer counter at a box store says. So I cheated; sue me.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote