DIY Mama Raccoon Outta Chimney Flue - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes

Old 05-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,062

DIY mama raccoon outta chimney flue

Hearing feet on the roof.. kids say they see a raccoon on the fence.. neighbor says he sees raccoon up near my chimney... so get up there and sure enough the cap is pulled off.. I put it back on and setup my trail cam... brought it down today with a full video card and sure enough she was down in there trying to get out...

She pushed he her way out and stared down in the hole for awhile then left for 2-3 hours before she came back home..

So now i figure it's her and some babies that aren't big enough to climb out yet..

Any DIY way to take care of this or do I need to call in a pro?

Advertisement

ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,436

Re: DIY mama raccoon outta chimney flue

Your community animal control should know what to do, and your tax money has already paid for this service.

I would call them, and permanently attach the cover after they have moved out.

ED
Dave Sal likes this.

Advertisement

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,290

Keep the trail camera going. Be sure to not use your furnace/boiler and drop a long heavy duty rope down from the top and secure it. If babies are big enough to get around they may be big enough to climb out. The fule by itself may work for mama because she can push against the sides but the little ones are too small.

Animal control might approach from the cleanout at the bottom. Do check to be sure that door is closed as she may be nesting in the basement instead of the chimney.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,712

Mother racoon will physically move them if she feels they are threatened and too small to get out on their own. She will transport them in her mouth.
Dave Sal and de-nagorg like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 592

Smoke them out, don't make the mistake of grabbing one, those hind legs will cut you long, deep, and continuous.
de-nagorg likes this.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,820

Took us three days to get a raccoon out of a heat duct system when I was a kid.
Set a trap with a can of sardines. The critter will come running.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

I called in a pro.. I have to travel for the next week and just as soon have that thing and the babies gone when I get back..

For reference it'll run me about $300 depending on the number of babies..
Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

Quick story. BIL had a raccoon in his attic and it destroyed the place, insulation totally ripped up. So, wanting a bit of revenge as well as getting rid of the critter he went up there with his 357 loaded with bird shot. He learned too lessons.
1. Never discharge a 357 in an attic, he went deaf for several minutes.
2. Bird shot just creates a lot of blood and makes a big raccoon very mad.

I'm not sure how he ended it but I'm sure he would have preferred your approach, maybe next time.

Bud
Dave Sal and de-nagorg like this.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

1) paying taxes doesnt mean you have the privelege/right to use the local city animal control dispatch- here, you have to pay yourself for "pest" problems.
2) $300? I understand- you had to get it done, but a $3 gallon of Ace hardware Industrial strength ammonia would have vaporized them out. And with no long term harmful effects.
papereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
2) $300? I understand- you had to get it done, but a $3 gallon of Ace hardware Industrial strength ammonia would have vaporized them out. And with no long term harmful effects.
I appreciate that you see the value of not harming wild animals. Just for the record, not sure that ammonia doesn't cause long term effects.

https://www.stearnspkg.com/images/sd...V-WL90-SDS.pdf
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
1) paying taxes doesnt mean you have the privelege/right to use the local city animal control dispatch- here, you have to pay yourself for "pest" problems.
Well so they can't physically remove them so they are going to dump a bottle of smelly crap down the chimney ... Guess I coulda saved myself $200 and just pissed down the flue... Or gotten that $3 gallon of ammonia...
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
I appreciate that you see the value of not harming wild animals. Just for the record, not sure that ammonia doesn't cause long term effects.

https://www.stearnspkg.com/images/sd...V-WL90-SDS.pdf
For the record, I can tell you that ammonia does not have serious long term (or even short term) side affects. besides, are we really concerned if that coon comes down with circulatory problems when he reaches the ripe old coon age of say, 9 years?? I think not.

Ammonia is one of the least hazard bases known in science. It is a Packing Group III for DOT haz shipping, the least of all hazard classes. Chemically , it is classified as a weak base. Very short term affects........
Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdiydad View Post
Well so they can't physically remove them so they are going to dump a bottle of smelly crap down the chimney ... Guess I coulda saved myself $200 and just pissed down the flue... Or gotten that $3 gallon of ammonia...
No!! Don't be cheap! Spend the $3.Pee does not smell as bad- it will have no effect!! Even after it decomposes down to ammonia (amines in pee break down to ammonia) it will be very dilute ammonia!!! STUDY!!
ryansdiydad likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,728

Quote:
For the record, I can tell you that ammonia does not have serious long term (or even short term) side affects. besides, are we really concerned if that coon comes down with circulatory problems when he reaches the ripe old coon age of say, 9 years?? I think not.

Ammonia is one of the least hazard bases known in science. It is a Packing Group III for DOT haz shipping, the least of all hazard classes. Chemically , it is classified as a weak base. Very short term affects........
Did you even read the SDS? If you are concerned about wildlife, and especially if there are babies, how can you not be aware that their eyesight can be irrevocably affected by Industrial Strength ammonia? Lets put you in a chimney with Industrial strength ammonia & see how you feel coughing, choking & unable to see. . . that's not very humane, it's torture.

I'm not saying that a raccoon can't be a risk. I was worried when there was one in the attic, clawing at the attic opening & the possibly of a panicked raccoon falling down into the inside of the house, definitely, had me concerned. But, I'd also be concerned about how children watching would be affected by treatment of an animal.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

Without going back through the thread, is there a clean-out door at the bottom?
Mama may be able to push herself against the sides to gain traction to climb out, but the babies (assuming they are there) may not be able to do so and mom may not be able to climb and carry them. Really easy to lower something down there to act as a ladder for all to climb out. This time of your they would be happy to leave if you give them a chance.

Bud
Nik333 likes this.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (05-19-2017)