DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Pest Control (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/)
-   -   Deer in the yard (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/deer-yard-197688/)

BCSapper 03-12-2014 12:00 PM

Deer in the yard
 
For years deer have been coming into my yard during the winter nights to eat the birdseed that has fallen from the feeders. They never caused a problem.

Then this year, for some reason, they have decided my yard is a toilet as well as a buffet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to items I can place im my yard that won't hurt the birds but will discourage the deer?

creeper 03-12-2014 12:05 PM

I have seen in apple orchards bars of soap hanging from the trees. I'd pick the heavily scented kind.

They associate the perfume with human presence. But in your case, I would imagine they are already familiar with the human scent. Still...maybe worth a try..

Daniel Holzman 03-12-2014 01:25 PM

30-06

chrisn 03-12-2014 04:52 PM

shoot em and eat em:yes:

nanuk 03-12-2014 05:14 PM

BOBBEX deer repellant.
Expensive but works better than anything I have tried.

That's for the plants. For the "toilet" part, you must think of something else.

...or go with chrisn's advise :thumbsup:

creeper 03-12-2014 05:14 PM

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that someone who feeds the birds may not want to shoot them.

Plus the deer would need to be more considerate and show up during daylight

nanuk 03-12-2014 05:19 PM

The bird seed is to lure the deer.
I do it all the time.
:)

creeper 03-12-2014 05:53 PM

That reminds me of the hunter I saw heading into the woods the other day with a bag of corn/seeds over his shoulder. I'm not a hunter but wouldn't that be considered cheating?? not sure..just asking:)

BCSapper 03-12-2014 06:19 PM

The neighbours might have a problem with stray rounds interrupting their sleep. Not that I haven't thought about it.

I might try that BOBBEX around the entrance, see if I can keep them out altogether.

Thanks for all the replies.

nanuk 03-12-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 1321122)
That reminds me of the hunter I saw heading into the woods the other day with a bag of corn/seeds over his shoulder. I'm not a hunter but wouldn't that be considered cheating?? not sure..just asking:)

Hunting with anything but a spear is cheating

concretemasonry 03-12-2014 07:31 PM

My deer just walk through twice a day on their trip and never touch a thing and I have 6 bird feeders. They must have a better place to go. The deer can be deterred by hanging Irish Spring or similar) soap bars to prevent them from going after the caged peppers and tomatoes. I used them shaved in my Corvette (interior, under hood, truck and on the floor) that was stored in a barn for the winters and never had a sign for 3 years.

I have a bigger with spring and fall when the bears steal the suet feeders and ruin bird feeders at night and early morning. Somehow, nothing will stop them. I had a 2'x2' 2x4 frame with heavy screen and heavy mesh that was crushed into the ground when a bear used it to get a little higher to the feeder above that was destroyed.

Normally, the animals are just good things to observe but my wife does not want to see a red-tailed hawk take a squirrel is a swoop.

Dick

Bondo 03-12-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSapper (Post 1321136)
The neighbours might have a problem with stray rounds interrupting their sleep. Not that I haven't thought about it.

I might try that BOBBEX around the entrance, see if I can keep them out altogether.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ayuh,.... Use a Bow,....

I'm cookin' up my last tenderloin of this years crop for my Love's birthday dinner tomorrow night,...

r0ckstarr 03-13-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanuk (Post 1321166)
Hunting with anything but a spear is cheating

Bare hands and a home-made knife.

concretemasonry 03-13-2014 08:39 AM

r0ckstar -

Just make sure you put the knife between your teeth so you use both hands.

Make sure the sharp side of the blade faces away from you unless you are trying to be macho.

A little of camo smeared on the face will help while you sneak up to Bambi.

A motion sensor will help you fined the best time so you can have fewer hours laying in wait.

Think twice if it is suburban 225# buck.

Dick

r0ckstarr 03-13-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretemasonry (Post 1321389)
r0ckstar -

Just make sure you put the knife between your teeth so you use both hands.

Make sure the sharp side of the blade faces away from you unless you are trying to be macho.

A little of camo smeared on the face will help while you sneak up to Bambi.

A motion sensor will help you fined the best time so you can have fewer hours laying in wait.

Think twice if it is suburban 225# buck.

Dick

Ever hunted feral hogs?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved