Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

Dealing with Gophers from a Neighbor's Yard?

My backyard is mostly a swimming pool (in-ground), but we also have some in-ground planter boxes along the fence. I tried planting strawberry plants in one, which have been disappearing overnight, with holes left in their place. I've looked into traps and baits, but it seems like they won't be effective because the main tunnels aren't in my yard: they're in my neighbor's; if I peak over the fence, I can see her yard looks positively infested with mounds! They just come to my yard to snack.

I consulted an exterminator and he seemed to think similarly: he said I'd probably need to ask the neighbor to do something about it, to be rid of them effectively. Problem is, the neighbor is a reclusive elderly lady who doesn't seem to care about her yard. So... what might I do?

It seems like exclusion might be an option: there's a gap between the planter box and the fence where I might be able to dig a trench and put some sort of barrier in the ground. It's a narrow space though, so it would be difficult to work with.

sd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Items wanted: Time

NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NiNe O For This Useful Post:
chrisn (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

where are you?
gophers?

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7433.html
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

Spray your yard with a gopher repellant purchased in concentrate form. The granulars don't seem to work as well.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/1678...al-Concentrate
crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2012 View Post
My backyard is mostly a swimming pool (in-ground), but we also have some in-ground planter boxes along the fence. I tried planting strawberry plants in one, which have been disappearing overnight, with holes left in their place. I've looked into traps and baits, but it seems like they won't be effective because the main tunnels aren't in my yard: they're in my neighbor's; if I peak over the fence, I can see her yard looks positively infested with mounds! They just come to my yard to snack.

I consulted an exterminator and he seemed to think similarly: he said I'd probably need to ask the neighbor to do something about it, to be rid of them effectively. Problem is, the neighbor is a reclusive elderly lady who doesn't seem to care about her yard. So... what might I do?

It seems like exclusion might be an option: there's a gap between the planter box and the fence where I might be able to dig a trench and put some sort of barrier in the ground. It's a narrow space though, so it would be difficult to work with.
Well...the 'American Way' would be to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against the lady for failing to keep a wild rodent out of your yard....

But if she was smart, she would get PETA involved who would in turn picket your house and call in the news media telling horrible stories about how you are trying to murder the poor creatures.

Or.....you can stop being part of the 47%....go next door and nicely explain to the old lady (who just might be glad of some human contact) what the problem is and ask her if it's ok if you access her back yard so that you can address the issue....and while your at it....explain that you might clean up her yard a little bit while your at it.

I would be willing to bet that if you explained the situation to the neighbor on the other side of her...they might be willing to help as well since it could drive the critters over into their yard.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Well...the 'American Way' would be to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against the lady for failing to keep a wild rodent out of your yard....

But if she was smart, she would get PETA involved who would in turn picket your house and call in the news media telling horrible stories about how you are trying to murder the poor creatures.

Or.....you can stop being part of the 47%....go next door and nicely explain to the old lady (who just might be glad of some human contact) what the problem is and ask her if it's ok if you access her back yard so that you can address the issue....and while your at it....explain that you might clean up her yard a little bit while your at it.

I would be willing to bet that if you explained the situation to the neighbor on the other side of her...they might be willing to help as well since it could drive the critters over into their yard.

shootin em would be quicker
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
shootin em would be quicker
And a whole lot more fun......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #8

Get the old lady a cat for Christmas. I would like to help since mine has devastated my gopher population. 4 kittens " FREE ".
Attached Thumbnails
Dealing with Gophers from a Neighbor's Yard?-kitty-mouser-gopher-11-3-07.jpg  
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
STAFF

There are so many cats in our neighborhood it is ridiculous we could send you 15 or 20 and not make a good dent in them.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Get the old lady a cat for Christmas. I would like to help since mine has devastated my gopher population. 4 kittens " FREE ".

great pic
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
great pic
Thanks chrisn.
Pics like that are few and far between. I just got lucky that day because there certainly wasn't any skill involved.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #12

Agree with ddawg16
"go next door and nicely explain to the old lady (who just might be glad of some human contact) what the problem is and ask her if it's ok if you access her back yard so that you can address the issue....and while your at it....explain that you might clean up her yard a little bit while your at
it."
If the old lady has adult children approach them as well when they visit. However, once you have her cooperation, what method would an animal control expert use? Poison? Effective but inhumane. Repellent? Ineffective. I tried it. Shooting? Illegal in many areas. Trap and release? Humane, possibly illegal (check with your local authorities) but sounds like it would take forever. I think you need to speak to someone who removes gophers for a living and then speak to the neighbor so that you are able to answer any questions or concerns she may have.

Last edited by retired guy 60; 12-03-2012 at 05:18 AM.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #13

trap and shoot. don't release them to become someone else's problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #14

Where I live a 10 minute drive puts you in the woods away from anyone's homes. So, trap and release works fine. The OP should consider that the discharge of any firearm within a residential community is illegal. So then, one is suggesting driving the trapped animals to a wooded area away from any people and then executing them when releasing them right then and there would be far easier and humane. Makes no sense to me. And no they will not find their way back. They will simply reestablish their colony in the woods and hopefully live long lives out of the reach of people.

Last edited by retired guy 60; 12-02-2012 at 06:16 AM.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #15

no they won't, they'll make there way to some other neighborhood and cause problems for other people, just shoot the thing. The world is not going to miss one groundhog. A 10 minute drive is 6 miles, it will find it's way back.