DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Pest Control (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/)
-   -   Dealing with Gophers from a Neighbor's Yard? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/dealing-gophers-neighbors-yard-164679/)

sd2012 11-25-2012 06:37 PM

Dealing with Gophers from a Neighbor's Yard?
 
My backyard is mostly a swimming pool (in-ground), but we also have some in-ground planter boxes along the fence. I tried planting strawberry plants in one, which have been disappearing overnight, with holes left in their place. I've looked into traps and baits, but it seems like they won't be effective because the main tunnels aren't in my yard: they're in my neighbor's; if I peak over the fence, I can see her yard looks positively infested with mounds! They just come to my yard to snack.

I consulted an exterminator and he seemed to think similarly: he said I'd probably need to ask the neighbor to do something about it, to be rid of them effectively. Problem is, the neighbor is a reclusive elderly lady who doesn't seem to care about her yard. So... what might I do?

It seems like exclusion might be an option: there's a gap between the planter box and the fence where I might be able to dig a trench and put some sort of barrier in the ground. It's a narrow space though, so it would be difficult to work with.

NiNe O 11-25-2012 07:04 PM

http://www.hatchergun.com/Ammunition...22Subsonic.jpg

chrisn 11-26-2012 04:44 AM

where are you?
gophers?

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7433.html

crankcase 11-29-2012 03:56 PM

Spray your yard with a gopher repellant purchased in concentrate form. The granulars don't seem to work as well.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/1678...al-Concentrate

ddawg16 11-29-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd2012 (Post 1060261)
My backyard is mostly a swimming pool (in-ground), but we also have some in-ground planter boxes along the fence. I tried planting strawberry plants in one, which have been disappearing overnight, with holes left in their place. I've looked into traps and baits, but it seems like they won't be effective because the main tunnels aren't in my yard: they're in my neighbor's; if I peak over the fence, I can see her yard looks positively infested with mounds! They just come to my yard to snack.

I consulted an exterminator and he seemed to think similarly: he said I'd probably need to ask the neighbor to do something about it, to be rid of them effectively. Problem is, the neighbor is a reclusive elderly lady who doesn't seem to care about her yard. So... what might I do?

It seems like exclusion might be an option: there's a gap between the planter box and the fence where I might be able to dig a trench and put some sort of barrier in the ground. It's a narrow space though, so it would be difficult to work with.

Well...the 'American Way' would be to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against the lady for failing to keep a wild rodent out of your yard....

But if she was smart, she would get PETA involved who would in turn picket your house and call in the news media telling horrible stories about how you are trying to murder the poor creatures.

Or.....you can stop being part of the 47%....go next door and nicely explain to the old lady (who just might be glad of some human contact) what the problem is and ask her if it's ok if you access her back yard so that you can address the issue....and while your at it....explain that you might clean up her yard a little bit while your at it.

I would be willing to bet that if you explained the situation to the neighbor on the other side of her...they might be willing to help as well since it could drive the critters over into their yard.

chrisn 11-29-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1063153)
Well...the 'American Way' would be to hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against the lady for failing to keep a wild rodent out of your yard....

But if she was smart, she would get PETA involved who would in turn picket your house and call in the news media telling horrible stories about how you are trying to murder the poor creatures.

Or.....you can stop being part of the 47%....go next door and nicely explain to the old lady (who just might be glad of some human contact) what the problem is and ask her if it's ok if you access her back yard so that you can address the issue....and while your at it....explain that you might clean up her yard a little bit while your at it.

I would be willing to bet that if you explained the situation to the neighbor on the other side of her...they might be willing to help as well since it could drive the critters over into their yard.


shootin em would be quicker:laughing:

ddawg16 11-29-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 1063170)
shootin em would be quicker:laughing:

And a whole lot more fun......

Fairview 11-29-2012 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get the old lady a cat for Christmas. I would like to help since mine has devastated my gopher population. 4 kittens " FREE ".

BigJim 11-29-2012 05:22 PM

There are so many cats in our neighborhood it is ridiculous we could send you 15 or 20 and not make a good dent in them.

chrisn 11-30-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview (Post 1063182)
Get the old lady a cat for Christmas. I would like to help since mine has devastated my gopher population. 4 kittens " FREE ".


great pic:thumbsup:

Fairview 11-30-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 1063444)
great pic:thumbsup:

Thanks chrisn.
Pics like that are few and far between. I just got lucky that day because there certainly wasn't any skill involved. :laughing:

retired guy 60 12-02-2012 12:28 AM

Agree with ddawg16
"go next door and nicely explain to the old lady (who just might be glad of some human contact) what the problem is and ask her if it's ok if you access her back yard so that you can address the issue....and while your at it....explain that you might clean up her yard a little bit while your at
it."
If the old lady has adult children approach them as well when they visit. However, once you have her cooperation, what method would an animal control expert use? Poison? Effective but inhumane. Repellent? Ineffective. I tried it. Shooting? Illegal in many areas. Trap and release? Humane, possibly illegal (check with your local authorities) but sounds like it would take forever. I think you need to speak to someone who removes gophers for a living and then speak to the neighbor so that you are able to answer any questions or concerns she may have.

NiNe O 12-02-2012 05:16 AM

trap and shoot. don't release them to become someone else's problem.

retired guy 60 12-02-2012 05:49 AM

Where I live a 10 minute drive puts you in the woods away from anyone's homes. So, trap and release works fine. The OP should consider that the discharge of any firearm within a residential community is illegal. So then, one is suggesting driving the trapped animals to a wooded area away from any people and then executing them when releasing them right then and there would be far easier and humane. Makes no sense to me. And no they will not find their way back. They will simply reestablish their colony in the woods and hopefully live long lives out of the reach of people.

NiNe O 12-02-2012 08:22 AM

no they won't, they'll make there way to some other neighborhood and cause problems for other people, just shoot the thing. The world is not going to miss one groundhog. A 10 minute drive is 6 miles, it will find it's way back.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved