Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #1

Share |

darned mice

I have had mice in some of my walls (3rd floor of a townhouse, entire house is above grade) and perhaps the attic for a month or so but they are not in the house proper (yet?). I say "perhaps" in the attic because I have cathedral ceilings and 90% of it is inaccessible.

I know it is mice because one night it got to me and I cut a hole in the drywall and killed one down between a pair of studs. I have read all the how-tos on this and the first thing to do is find the point of entry, something which I have had zero luck with so far.

Only things that look possible are one lower course of siding about 8 feet long that is loose on the bottom edge where it laps over the slab. Due to neighbor's deck I can't really get in there to see if the sheathing is intact underneath.

Other possibility is one of the end caps on the soffit got sprung off by ice and a buddy went up and screwed it back down. There may be a small gap on one edge but this is 30 feet in the air up aluminum siding. Would mice go there? I dunno.

Otherwise the townhouse is just 22 feet across walls with additional shorter walls in front and back where my house is offset from the adjacent ones and all the penetrations seem to be sealed.

I have a couple of wifi cams and I am going to deploy them to look at these areas to see if I can find the buggers coming and going. But what times of day would they typically be exiting and entering a structure? They seem to be most active in the walls between 9:00 PM and midniight but I don't know when to expect them to come and go from the building?

I think I have the trapping down as I have caught several out on the deck, but I would really appreciate any tips on how to find the point of entry.

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #2

darned mice

If I catch the *&$# cat that is crapping in my landscaping, I'll send it to you to catch your darned mice!

spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #3

darned mice

He'd have to be a very magic cat indeed to get into the wall spaces and hunt them down. But since he seems to be eluding you perhaps he is magic enough to help me. ;-)
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

darned mice

We also have rats in our ceiling and I don't have any idea how to get rid of them. I don't feel brave enough to open up a ceiling cover to run after them. I hear running and scrambling sound every now and then. It's annoying and scary especially during the night. By the sound of it, I think it's huge and not alone. Could you pass along the magic cat when you're done with it?
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #5

darned mice

If you have a regular attic (not cathedral like me) go up there in the daytime and put out some rat traps. Are you sure they're rats and not squirrels? Squirrels are bad news, too.