DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Pest Control (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/)
-   -   Cockroaches outside (http://www.diychatroom.com/f51/cockroaches-outside-45081/)

dc4nomore 05-23-2009 11:06 AM

Cockroaches outside
 
Ok, we moved into our house about a year and a half ago and the cockroaches were everywhere. We've been paying Orkin every few months to come out since and haven't had any more problems...INSIDE.

Outside, however, is a completely different story. At night, just in the short walk from my front door out to a car parked on the street, you will see dozens, if not hundreds, of large dirty cockroaches scurrying about the sidewalks and street. There is no avoiding them...they are everywhere. My girlfriend is terrified to go outside at night and is worried that they will come back inside. What can I do about this? Is this something I should take up with the city/sewer district?

Thanks!
-Dave

Leah Frances 05-23-2009 11:13 AM

Dude, and keep in mind that I'm a chick, you've got to be kidding.

I am totally in agreement that roaches should not be in the house - ICKY. But, where exactly does she think roaches live? Outer space? Your own classification of roaches as "Dirty" makes me wonder... What exactly do you, or she think could be done by the city sewer/water? Erect a forcefield to keep them out of the area around your house?

dc4nomore 05-23-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah Frances (Post 277385)
Dude, and keep in mind that I'm a chick, you've got to be kidding.

I am totally in agreement that roaches should not be in the house - ICKY. But, where exactly does she think roaches live? Outer space? Your own classification of roaches as "Dirty" makes me wonder... What exactly do you, or she think could be done by the city sewer/water? Erect a forcefield to keep them out of the area around your house?

Well it just makes me think that there is some sort of a sanitation issue on my street considering the fact that I have lived in some seriously filthy parts of my town (Cincinnati) and yet I've never witnessed the numbers of them as I have here.

I mean of course the sewers are going to be infested, but the city should do something to make sure they don't come out of the sewers and onto the street. Hell I don't know, I'm just looking for a little help here...I don't like the fact that I can't go outside at night without having to jump around trying to avoid stepping on one of the critters, and then tracking their dead bodies and possibly eggs inside the house.

And if you don't think roaches are "dirty," then you seriously need to google that topic. There is a reason why businesses, by law, must not have them...because they carry diseases and are absolutely disgusting.

gma2rjc 05-23-2009 01:35 PM

They're in your yard and driveway? Definitely call the city. Call whoever you can to get it taken care of. Did you ask the Orkin guy if he has any suggestions?

Rehabber 05-23-2009 03:20 PM

Boric acid is a low toxic powder that roaches will pick up with their legs and take back to their 'nest'. It will get into their food supply and kill them all. Sprinkle a little wherever they seem to congregate, and keep at it for a few weeks. They will disappear. Powdered boric acid is available at any drugstore. (no prescription needed) :gun_bandana:

dc4nomore 05-23-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gma2rjc (Post 277450)
They're in your yard and driveway? Definitely call the city. Call whoever you can to get it taken care of. Did you ask the Orkin guy if he has any suggestions?

I can't really see them in the yard at night because of the grass, but I'm sure they're there. I see them everywhere on the sidewalks and street. And I've mentioned it to the Orkin guy numerous times but he never really has anything to say about it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehabber (Post 277479)
Boric acid is a low toxic powder that roaches will pick up with their legs and take back to their 'nest'. It will get into their food supply and kill them all. Sprinkle a little wherever they seem to congregate, and keep at it for a few weeks. They will disappear. Powdered boric acid is available at any drugstore. (no prescription needed) :gun_bandana:

Ahh I've heard of that stuff but I never knew where to get it...I'll stop by Walgreen's tonight and pick some up. I suppose I would need to reapply that almost daily and certainly after it rains, correct?

Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:

Rehabber 05-23-2009 05:28 PM

The Orkin guy doesn't want to killem outside, cause then he won't have to spray inside and he loses another cash cow. :icon_cheesygrin:

dc4nomore 05-23-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehabber (Post 277513)
The Orkin guy doesn't want to killem outside, cause then he won't have to spray inside and he loses another cash cow. :icon_cheesygrin:

Any confirmation on whether I'd have to reapply the boric acid daily and/or after it rains?

Rehabber 05-23-2009 06:18 PM

Reapply every couple of days, and after it rains:yes:

dc4nomore 05-23-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehabber (Post 277528)
Reapply every couple of days, and after it rains:yes:

Alrighty...will do. And yeah I think you're right about the Orkin guy...

Thanks again:thumbup:

gma2rjc 05-23-2009 11:17 PM

Let us know how it works out for you.

Holy cow, I'm not afraid of bugs (except for june bugs) but I'm not sure I'd come home again if I had to walk on cockroaches to get in or out of the house. Your girlfriend is a brave gal.

It's nice that you're working so hard to take care of the problem. Keep up the good work.

The boric acid is a great idea. Do you think your neighbors would be willing to use it on their property too?

Good luck.

dc4nomore 05-24-2009 01:05 AM

Ok, so I got some powdered boric acid at Walgreens for $4 a bottle (I got two). And at around midnight I had a pretty good time shooting the white powder onto the little fellas. I know it's meant to put in corners and in high travel areas, but since I had the opportunity, I dumped it directly on every single one I could find. I went all over my front yard and steet/sidewalk area and even got a little carried away and followed them a few houses down on either side of me...there are little white blotches all over the place. I tried to use it as sparingly as possible but the little applicator bottle was a pain...sometimes it wouldn't come out at all, others it would just dump it out. But from what I've read online, it would take a substantial amount (much more than I bought, let alone put out) to harm any pets or children who may come across the white spots I've left all over...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gma2rjc (Post 277628)
The boric acid is a great idea. Do you think your neighbors would be willing to use it on their property too?

I'm not sure, but it would certainly benefit my cause if I could treat their areas as well. Both of my neighbors are elderly, so I wouldn't mind treating their front yards for them. I'll talk to them when I get a chance. I already covered their sidewalks and street areas when I got a little carried away earlier...


:thumbup: Thanks Rehabber and gma2rjc! :thumbup:

gma2rjc 05-24-2009 10:40 AM

That's great. I had to laugh as I was reading your post. I was picturing the movie 'Arachnophobia', when John Goodman was walking around spraying the spiders on the ground.

Rehabber 05-24-2009 12:34 PM

Hey DC, let us know how lomg it takes before the roaches disappear. Took min about 3 weeks. (that was about 20 years ago, never came back) :thumbup1:

dc4nomore 05-24-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehabber (Post 277832)
Hey DC, let us know how lomg it takes before the roaches disappear. Took min about 3 weeks. (that was about 20 years ago, never came back) :thumbup1:

Alright. I'll keep putting the stuff out every couple days or so. I'll let you know when I don't see them anymore...hopefully it will be soon. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved