Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Share |

chronic gnats

commercial strip center lease space dental office. A gnat just flew on my patient's lip while I was cleaning his teeth.

I've had chronic problems with this for years. At times the problem was diagnosed and corrected-aquarium with algae and messy fishfood for eggs incubation.

We've since cleaned the aquarium to make sure it is not a source of infestation. We share a common wall with Big Lots retailer and in past I noticed a swarm of gnats in their store.

I'm not sure what is the best way to control this problem. Perhaps standard fogging on a regularly basis? Diagnosis is not known. I have examined the rest of the office for gnat niches and I can't find any.

When the gnats fly near the patient's mouth it is Hell. What do you suggest I do?
Thanks

gnathell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
pest control operator

chronic gnats

Pretty much all fly problems are solved by first getting an accurate identification of the species. Then you can research them as to what they feed on, breed in, and other conducive conditions. Most of the time no treatment is needed. Physical/mechanical alterations and repairs, sanitationi/housekeeping, etc. There could be sewer line breaks outside of your bldg which are causing sewer flies (psychoda) for example. Get an ID first. Keep us posted.

PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

chronic gnats

Thanks Pabugman.

How would I go about identifying the species?
Kill gnat and view under magnification? Would I be able to id the gnat species myself or would I need expertise?
gnathell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
pest control operator

chronic gnats

Here in Pa a good way to do it is to take specimens to our county agricultural extension office. Another way is to take specimens to a pest control office and see if they will ID them.

If you want to try it yourself, which is very do-able with good specimens, here are some common small flies to look-up.

psychoda or sewer flies
drosophila or fruit flies
phorids or humpback flies

Keep us posted.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote