Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

Chipmunks...They are everywhere

Both neighbors houses, mine, They think they own the place. Ideas??

Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Ayuh,... Bushytailed Rats you mean,..??

De-con Rat pellet baits.....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 AM   #3

we used moth balls but that was back in the day when i could catch moths
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
one determined mama

I would love to find an answer to ridding my yard of chipmunks. I have tried mothballs and they just dig escape tunnels and start new ones to get away from the fumes/smell. My yard is like crumbling swiss cheese at this point, it has even caved is spots. I would avoid rat poison (d-con). You will have that lovely rotting flesh smell to deal with and well as very likely killing any of your or your neighbor's pets (the poisoned rodents go above ground sometimes and die and then get nibbled on my curious pets who then get poisoned themselves.
mudpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

we had a couple in the front yard & the rest of the family in the back,,, hate to admit this but i shot 'em w/my .22,,, you may select a .410 shotgun or .22 skeet if your shooting's not all that good but always be VERY careful of what's behind the shot just in case you miss.

i've heard they don't like loud rap music ( i know - redundant ! ) but that seems extreme especially in our fuddy-duddy 'hood.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #6

Yah I guess the live trap will work, I have trapped 2 and moved em to the RR tracks miles away. Told my kid he can use the pellet gun and 2 dollar bounty a head. Funny thing is he accidently let one get out of the trap. That little **** bounded away like a proud Houdini slapping me in the face. I have mudjacked my patio yesterday probably a little because of my striped friends, maybe alot. What was the name of the Bill Murray movie? .
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #7

Caddyshack!

I once used a pellet rifle. Probably got rid of several dozen but that didn't leave a dent in the population.

There is several "shake-away" products. Basically Fox pee in a small granular form. They do work to some extent.

The food source that brings them into your area will keep attracting them regardless of what you do. Remove the source and they leave. Cutting trees down might be a bit extreme.

I currently have squirrels I'm dealing with. Pellet rifle works well but I had to add a scope to assure accuracy shot after shot. This could be a full-time job if I could just get someone to pay me. So far I haven't seen any evidence that the Fox pee has hampered them any.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #8

Fox urine didn't work for me. Rat poison, trap and shoot. Squirrels are another problem. They are territorial and if you limit the food, you'll keep the population in your yard to a minimum. You will never get rid of them all. The chipmunks stored three of these on the platform I use for storage in my outer garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Chipmunks...They are everywhere-000_0189.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
Bug Expert

Trapping is the best way to eliminate chipmunks. Live-catch wire mesh traps or common rat snap traps can be used to snare them. If the infestation is severe, it might take several weeks to eliminate the population. Tomahawk and Havahart both make traps for chipmunks. The little rascals also readily enter Ketch-All multi-catch mousetraps. A variety of baits can be used: peanut butter, nut meats, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, raisins, prune slices, or common grain based breakfast cereals. Load the traps with bait and place them where you've seen the most activity.

Bugzilla out --
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #10

get some nasty tomcats
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #11

Fill a 5 gal bucket 2/3 with water. Cover surface of water with 1" of sunflower seeds(they float) Set a plank of wood 1X6" overlapping the rim of bucket by 5" or so from the ground. Bait the plank with seeds & a small amount of peanut butter. Drop a small spoonful of PB on top of seeds in bucket just out of their reach.
I had tried to rid my yard of these striped rats for years with no success. THIS WORKS EXTREMELY WELL. I drowned 25 in a about 7 days. When I remodeled my kitchen I found they had been nesting over winters in ceiling above my plaster. They got in under cedar siding. I have 2 Pin Oaks in my yard, they love acorns & will nest in your house.
You will know you got one when the PB is disturbed on surface of seeds. They sink to the bottom after drowning. Dig a hole in ground & pour contents into it. I have dumped out as many as 5 at a time. They LOVE peanut butter!! Make sure they have to jump from the plank(Diving board) to reach the seeds/PB in bucket. If you have squirells, you may have to try to keep them off the bucket. They love the seeds as well but will not go in, they will sit on the rim and eat seeds. Make sure water isn't too close to surface, the chipmunks will hang over rim to get the PB/seeds. They WILL jump for it if they cant reach it. You can just add fresh seed/PB to surface instead of dumping each time.
As of end of last fall I had absolutely no more chipmunks. If you see a few in your yard you have many more than that. I tried poison, traps, bait etc. This works, be patient.
dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dbldee20 For This Useful Post:
yeldarb (08-27-2011)
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #12

I have seen an artificial motorised owl with a motion sensor built in. It has several settings for scaring off creatures. Apparently works VERY well with Racoons.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Fox urine didn't work for me. Rat poison, trap and shoot. Squirrels are another problem. They are territorial and if you limit the food, you'll keep the population in your yard to a minimum. You will never get rid of them all. The chipmunks stored three of these on the platform I use for storage in my outer garage.
Is that the right picture?
They stored 3 tractors?
Or is it what is in the bucket that they stored?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
Learning by Doing

I want to know if 47_47 likes his Kubota. DH and I are talking about getting one.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhag View Post
get some nasty tomcats
Good one .. hahaha .. cats are good for rats ...

bonko is offline   Reply With Quote