Centipede Pests?? - Pest Control - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
Fourth & Beale

Rewards Points: 10

Centipede Pests??

About a week ago I saw a large black centipede crawling on my kitchen floor, it scared the bejesus outta me. I was barefoot and managed to kill it with a pot.

It was around 7-8 inches long and all black - including its legs.

Yesterday I was stepping out of my car and saw 2 centipedes of the same description crawling on the roof of my house.

I know a lot of centipedes are poisonous, and I don't want myself or my pets to be stung/bitten or whatever.

Is this something I should be worried about??

-Mason

Advertisement

Mason0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 520

Centipede Pests??

well, the good news is that centipedes do not normally cause any damage to homes and they eat other pests that DO.

Advertisement

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Centipede Pests??

there are some poisonous ones in your area. i use this site to identify bugs i do not recognize around here.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/category...nd-millipedes/ this may help.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Rewards Points: 250

Centipede Pests??

We get centipedes in the house here a lot. Big ugly mothers. Sometimes they get into the bed.

I was awakened one night about 4 a.m. by what felt like someone shoving a straight pin into my finger-my hand was under my pillow.

Then it started burning-all the way up to my shoulder. The top half of my arm felt like a muscle strain, my elbow felt like it was in a vice, and the lower half of my arm and finger felt like they were in boiling oil. My hand was throbbing so bad I thought it wa going to explode and my finger was so swollen I thought it would rip open.

If you look in Dangermouse's link, scroll down to "tropical centipede" to see what got me.

I could find anything to catch/kill it with, so I went out and spent the rest of the night on the couch-too much pain to go back to sleep. In the morning, I stripped the bed, stood the mattresses and box spring up on end and then I sprayed malathion along all the baseboards and the entire floor in the bedroom, sealed the door and windows and set off three bug bombs in the bedroom. I wasn't taking any chances. I've seen these suckers survive up to 48 hours in a sealed jar with raid.

By about ten a.m. most of the pain had subsided into a dull ache with some mild burning sensations, but for the rest of the day, my arm just weak, like no muscle strength. And I had gassed the room so badly that I had to spend a week in the guest bedroom-after a very thorough search, of course.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Centipede Pests??

*ouch* Kap! a friend of mine's wife got stung by a hornet while in bed under the covers....in the middle of winter......

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Bug Expert

Rewards Points: 25

Centipede Pests??

Cenitpedes are nasty looking. They look alot bigger than they are because of their legs. A bite from a centipede can be painful, but usually not deadly. I would suggest that you spray around the outside of your home along the foundation with a good residual insecticide like Onslaught, or Demon WP.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-05-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
Pest control Leeds

Rewards Points: 10

Centipede Pests??

wow centipedes in the UK are tiny little things and harmless living on an island thats cold and rains all the time has its advantages

Advertisement

pest control is offline   Reply With Quote