Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Pest Control

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Carpenter bee issue

Live in va and we always have a lot of carpenter bees flying around during the warmer months. It appears this year that we may have a nest or 2! I was on the roof cleaning the gutters and I heard sounds coming from behind the vinyl siding over the upstairs window for my daughters room. I also saw yellow gunk that was on the siding under the top window trim. Then to make it even more obvious one bee crawled out and flew away while I was up there. I know these things drill holes in wood so I want to get rid of them ASAP. Then I want to caulk the gaps up there which I think should be sealed anyway! Any ideas? I probably have another nest in the other window up stairs. I can see in there at all so that makes things 10 times worse.

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Carpenter bee issue

Use Boric Acid. A shot of it in the hole will kill the female and the larvie.
Do not just try and fill the hole with caulking, once the lavie hatches it will just make another hole to get out.
Look in Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe in the insecticide area. Look for Roach Away. It contains 95% Boric Acid.
The bees get it on them lap it off and die from dehydration.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6767077_kill...ring-bees.html

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

Carpenter bee issue

What if I can't access or even see the wood they are in? Looks like they are going in and out of a gap between the vinyl covered window trim and the siding. I guess there's nice protected wood for them in there.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
pest control operator

Rewards Points: 250

Carpenter bee issue

The boric acid idea is good as it will “toxify” the holes for a long time. Next season (spring) more will be back to make the holes, which are really incubation chambers. There is an aerosol called “tri-die” that sprays a powdery residue along with pyrethrins. The powder is boric acid and silica dust. The aerosol may make it easier to get into some places. Now think about what you can do permanently to stop them as once the exposed wood becomes desirable then you will be doing this every year.

The bees will be just inside the gap; find/feel for the holes and treat into it.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #5

Carpenter bee issue

Looks like its worse than I thought. They are getting in the gaps all the way up the sides of the house along with the vents for the small attic space that's not accessible from inside at all. Here's a picture, I was trying to get some bees in it but they evaded me somehow.

Carpenter bee issue-image-163887549.jpg
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Carpenter bee issue

My kids kill many every year with tennis rackets. You can also build carpenter bee traps.
Seems the traps are the easiest nest so they leave other areas alone.
fixitman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Carpenter bee issue

I am going to attempt to fix this with the boric acid method. I am sure I have a lot of holes to fill judging by the amount of bees I see on a daily basis. How do I prevent new holes after putting the dust in the current ones. Seems like it will be a never ending battle that the bees will win. Can I put dust in the holes and then caulk the gap between the roof trim and vinyl siding where they get in? That way all the larvae and bees inside will die and no new ones can get in right?